Interesting Optical Effect with PVC drain pipe

In my house attic, I have several 4 inch white PVC vent stacks which are simply white PVC drain pipe extending from the wall headers through the attic and the roof. On the roof, these are covered with lead flashing to prevent water from getting inside the house. I have been doing a lot of work in the attic, and have noticed that these pipes "glow" quite noticeably as a result of the sunlight outside. As this often happens when the sun is at the horizon and thus at an angle below which direct coupling into the pipe would be possible, I am very curious as to the reason that the visible infrared portion is so much more visible than white light spectrum. Has anyone else noticed this? What is going on?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Visible infrared?

Jonh

White PVC sticking out the roof? 4"? Wow. White PVC usually becomes rotten from UV pretty quickly. If it isn't painted it begins to turn brown within 2-3 years in our area. After some more years you can sometimes crumble it by hand.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Same here. Generally all above-ground stuff around here is done in ABS (or metallic pipe).

...Jim Thompson

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty.
 When the People fear the Government, that is Tyranny."
         - attributed to Thomas Jefferson by his contemporaries

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to
restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and
interests."      - Patrick Henry

That's how our vents are done (and not 4"). Probably a code requirement, or at least it should be, just like the code prescribes protruding lengths so the vents aren't plugged by a snow pack.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Read the above again, the part sticking through the roof is covered in lead flashing as is standard practice.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

AS usual the topic veers far away from the question asked :{

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Up to the top in lead? Wow, haven't seen that yet. I wouldn't do that either though because it'll get hot.

But yes, PVC can "glow" if it isn't very thick.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

if it's loaded with TiO it'll last several decades exposed.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Contractors typically use the cheapest stuff they can get. Made in China.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Around here, it takes considerably less time than that. The pipes I ran to my pools solar heater were quite dark within a year, even the ones by the pumphouse that are mostly in the shade!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Duh. They're light pipes.

I'd put something over the top of them to keep birds from putting their nests there and plugging them.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Cynic

Would it make any difference if they were black ABS? It would obviously dramatically minimize the "glow", but how's black ABS's UV susceptibillity vs. white PVC?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Wouldn't that be TiO2?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So, how is Chinese PVC different from "domestic" PVC (if there is any such thing any more)? I'd have assumed that PVC is PVC.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Is there anything over the top of the hole, like a shroud? If not, then it's pretty obvious, like those SS skylights.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's because the question is so stupid.

What the hell is "visible infrared?"

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

AFAIK there is stuff mixed in to provide UV stabilization and so on. We have some 10ft lengths of very old PVC pipe, plus elbows and whatnot in the garage from the previous owner of the house. Wherever I used some of that it took forever to blacken or never blackend. Sometimes you end up with two tees in a row, same location. After 2-3 years one is brownish-black, the other almost as white as new. Guess which one is the new tee?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nah, there's virgin and there's regrind, and recycled plastic crap (in varying percentages of each). There's LOTs of different additives, to improve extrudability, placticizer to make it flexible, heat stabilizers, UV stabilizers, fire retardants, etc.. Some years ago Taiwan makers were making window blinds from extruded PVC with a lot of UV stabilizer (as you might expect)-- only problem was that it was lead, and the blinds slowly disintegrated under sunlight, yielding lead-bearing dust. There's also potential health problems with some fire retardants, which have been banned already in Europe and maybe in North America too by now. Some of the smelly flexible PVC (like swimming pool liner smell) is as much as 30% plasticizer chemicals.

But most PVC pipe, IME, is made domestically because it's cheaper to turn the silos full of powder into bulky hollow tubing close to the point of use, and requires virtually no labor (automated take-off equipment, automated saws and stacking, and then straight onto the flatbed).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The vent pipes sticking out the roof on our house are like that. Deterioration over >35 years: None.