Multi-conductor control cable: PVC vs.

I need to replace a cable (16-conductor, 28-ish awg, stranded, shielded) on an industrial machine. It?s used to connet a hand controller (small box with rotary encoder and pushbuttons) to the main control panel.

The original is a coiled (a la telephone handset) but the replacement doesn?t need to be. During use the cable will be splashed with lubricating oil (think dino motor oil) so in the short-term (5 years) it needs to be resistant to this.

I found this:

which is cable for the music-concert industry (audio mixers and such).

I can?t find any rubber-insulated cables (a la SJ or SO cables). How resistant will PVC-jacket be to oil?

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Find some silicone rubber sleeving of the right sort of internal diameter. With a goodly amount of talcum powder , it should be possible to cover some standard cable, using a "peristaltic" or snake-motion sort of action, pushing and pulling, to feed it over the core cabling.

Reply to
N_Cook

Are you saying that the PVC won?t hold up to dino oils?

Reply to
DaveC

PVC jacketed cables are oil resistant.

Reply to
Rich.

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:25:01 -0800, DaveC Gave us:

THHN or Teflon

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

DaveC

No useful info on oil resistance there.

The oil resistance of PVC is widely variable, depending on the plasticisers used and possibly other factors, but is generally quite poor. I have never seen any cable rated as oil resistant with a PVC jacket. I have seen PVC swell, lose strength and disintegrate from exposure to oil. A search on the term 'oil resistant cable' should turn up something more likely to hold up well under oil exposure, at a higher cost.

Reply to
Glen Walpert

silicone

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

I don't know what "dino" oils are, but PVC seems to be resistant to many things.

Looks like there is more than one type of PVC. Why this particular cable company? I wouldn't think the music industry has much in common with machine tools. Why not use a cable from one of the cable companies where they specify it for industrial use around oils?

If this cable will be continually bent and moved, don't you need a special type of cable for that? I would contact one of the cable manufacturers and find out what they recommend.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 18:49:21 -0500, rickman Gave us:

Yeah, right. That's why NASA uses it exactly NOWHERE.

The same is true of the makers of nuclear power facilities.

Sometimes you show a true lack of knowledge and experience.

You remind me of Donald Trump.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

from crude oil source, as opposed to synthetics

The cable is available by-the-foot (I need 12 ft total). The local distributor emailed the Japanese manufacturer who confirmed that they tested this PVC cable with gasoline which flushed out the particular plasticizers and hardened the remaining PVC. So no-go.

Specs look good, but minimum order is roll of 100 ft. I might be able to sell remainder on e-Flea but then again, maybe not. Might get mfgr. to sample. We?ll see?

igus.com have a really nice parameter search page:

This one looks good:

It will be used occasionally--it?s a convenience (occasional-use) hand control box.

Have requested samples from those that look good.

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

Suppliers of such cables?

Reply to
DaveC

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but this is a question that a simple google search should give good results for. Have you tried googling for silicone and the other parameters you require?

--

Rick
Reply to

Really?

up-wire

So some leg work..

If you want a large quanity I can hook you up but be prepaired to pay the piper.

jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Oh that's right, you did say cable

jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Try Alpha Wire 'Xtra-Guard' 'High-Flex'. They will pre-cut. UL AWM Styles 2587, 2661, 20234. All oil-resistant PVC.

RL

Reply to
legg

I have forty years experience in designing and building machine tool, robotic and automations systems. Whenever I require a cable that might be exposed to oil or coolant contamination, or will encounter high rates of flexing I only specify Olflex. It's more expensive than most, but a lot less expensive than failure and replacement.

Reply to
indyrat500

16-conductor stranded, 24 awg or smaller, color-coded or numbered, single shield (foil or braid), oil-resistant jacket. Please try yourself. I?ve had no luck. I?m not saying one doesn?t exit, but it?s not easy to find.

OK, people?ready, set, GO!

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

And cut to order (no 100 ft rolls, please?I need only 12 feet).

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

I appreciate that this is, enviably, wonderful cable. But it comes in minimum size of 20 awg. If only it met all my requirements.

My need is for a hand-controller (think Atari joystick)?carrying milliamps.

20 awg is overkill at the expense of weight, diameter, and (arguably) greater flexibility.

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC