PSU Ripple Update

Gentlemen (and others)

I only get a few spare minutes a week to look into this, hence this update. Hopefully my latest finding might ring a bell for some of you and assist in pinpointing the fault with this (linear) PSU. So, I've carried out a few more tests and discovered that there is a total absence of ripple on the storage caps when all the downstream circuitry has been disconnected. So it's totally fine with no load. However, as I re-connect all those downstream circuits, the ripple commences and the more connectors I re-attach, the worse it gets. This is a screen shot showing over a volt of ripple at only about 66% of the full supply voltage applied:

Now I did check to see if there was anything downstream which had shorted or gone low-resistance which could possibly account for this, but found nothing amiss. So the question is: What could cause ripple to arise when even very light loads are applied to the output of a pretty substantial linear PSU?

BTW, the bridge rectifiers were fine and have been exonerated from any culpability in this fault.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Isn't that what you'd expect? The storage capacitor gets topped up twice per mains period. In between top-ups, it's the sole source of the output current, so its voltage drops until the next top-up.

You could measure the rate of voltage drop and check if it has the expected slope for the output current and the storage cap's value: dV/dt = -I/C.

You could also check if the pass transistors still have enough voltage across them at maximum current and just before the next top-up. Do you see ripple on the regulated output?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Yes, it's a fault alright. The ripple is superimposed on the output of the RF generator; it's impossible to ignore.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not only am I seeing ripple on the regulated output, I'm seeing it on the final output of the signal generator this PSU powers. It's quite a beefy PSU, but as little as 90mA draw gives rise to an unacceptable level of ripple which permeates through the whole of the downstream circuitry.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You sure you got your probe division/scope division configured congruently?

Reply to
bitrex

Yes, it's on 1x @ 5ms. The only thing I can think of is some sort of issue with a rogue feedback signal which has ripple on it and is causing the PSU to (mis) regulate accordingly. But I have no schematic and there's none available online either, so I can't check for that.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

OK, we need to know more. Your scope picture shows about

1 volt ripple (assuming an X1 probe). Is that correct? (As I see the image it indicates 500mV per division, but the units - mV - are an assumption on my part as the image is not 100% clear.) 1 volt ripple measured across the filter caps is not a problem.

Next, what is the DC level on the input to the regulator, and what is the DC level on the output of the regulator? The ripple should be eliminated by the regulator if it's working properly. Can you descri9be the regulator circuit?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I'm unable to answer very much until the next time I have an hour to spare to look at the issue again (which will probably be next Sunday). In the mean time, I'll be noting any questions such as yours and will answer them all in a single post after the next inspection. It's a pity I don't have more free time available for this, but that's just the way it is at present. :-/

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The question, which appears to have flown straight over your head, was: Does the scope setting match the probe you are using?

I.e., is it a 1X probe (or a switchable probe on the 1X setting)?

Is the probe 1X, 10X, or some other X?

Reply to
Bertrand Sindri

100Hz triangle wave 1.1V peak to peak. Assuming a 50Hz supply, that on the input to a regulator is to be expected, on the output not so much.

Possible open ground connection of a 3-terminal or shunt regulator, especially if the output voltage is high,

Very light loads? all I can think of is open circuit input filter capacitors.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Did you replace the rectifiers, until something (anything) changed?

The ripple has changed since your last photo, as have your test conditions. You still don't indicate a 0V reference, so we can't tell what the % ripple IS.

This waveform shows equal phase peaks at the expected frequency.

What is your problem?

RL frequency.

Reply to
legg

Were you measuring across the filter cap terminals? No other scope ground connection?

RL

Reply to
legg

That sounds as if the linear regulators aren't regulating.

You need to compare the voltages applied to the inputs of the regulators, which can be expected to show appreciable ripple with the nominally regulated output, which shouldn't. Any residual output ripple should be a couple of orders of magnitude smaller than the input ripple.

It may be "beefy" but it doesn't seem to be working as it should.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Always good to thoroughly consider user error.

I wonder if Cursitor Doom has heard of "MF Doom"? "Do you see the perpetrator? Yeah, I'm right here.."

bitrex

I fell into the same old trap as last time and the time before that and the time before that.... It was nothing to do with the PSU. I eventually tracked it down to a coax's shield in the RF section which had come adrift. When re-grounded, the ripple on the output completely vanished. Must have been somehow picking it up from the mains transformer despite all the screening and compartmentalisation in this device. All that time I wasted on the PSU - just because ripple *has* to be a PSU problem, doesn't it. Until it isn't, that is.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

If the shield was open, then the return current for the RF would probably have been forced to flow back to the source via the power-supply ground paths (back to the power supply, and then through the ground wiring to the source circuitry). Any impedances along this ground path would have created some voltage drop, and variations in the power supply currents (e.g. ripple) would have created a varying voltage which would have been impressed on the output.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Good to hear you've tracked down the problem.

Actually measuring the output ripple of a functioning linear can be an issue, as you're often expected to measure microvolts on a DC level repeatedly - requiring carefull decoupling, probe technique and sometimes external amplification, if the spec is typically silly.

Suddenly you will become aware of all of the unshielded sources of low frequency interference in your work area.

RL

Reply to
legg

Indeed. Anyway, if they hadn't made it such a bitch of an area to inspect, I'd have spotted the issue at the outset.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom