Probabilities

Just finished my PIC programer, used an 25 year old BC548 in it. Just after I posted that it worked OK, the LED started flashing on/off, and the PIC no longer communicated (it was still in the programmer). Some measurement showed the BC548 shorting and putting 13 V on the PIC Vdd. The PIC lives, I replaced the transistor. At almost the same time my old 8052AH computer stopped working. I thought, probability, same old batch, and indeed, after some testing also a BC548...

I personally think it has something to do with humidity, perhaps combined with temperature changes? That predicts trouble for all that other stuff that has those in it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I guess the question remains is, what did you use for replacement?

I can't see how they can go bad unless the leads eroded up inside the encasement.

Reply to
Jamie

On a sunny day (Sun, 07 Feb 2010 15:01:24 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

Yes, possible, plastic transistors, but a short (varying say few hundred Ohm), resistance between collector and emittor... They hardly carry any current, 100k in series in one, reset circuit, the other one a few mA. But they are nice and dry.. do not look eroded either. Chip passivation?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 07 Feb 2010 15:56:10 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

LOL, yes, and BTW I replaced one with one of the same old ones, the other one I cut the wire to the collector, as it was hard to access, and already late.. ftp://panteltje.com/pub/board.gif ftp://panteltje.com/pub/wire_cut.gif Without the reset the thing works just as well... Will replace it some other time...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have a bad batch of the MBT2222's at work that have little noise spurs at a specific current curve, no matter what type of circuit you put them in except for a digital switch. Acts almost like a tunnel diode. I keep them just to remind me how long it took to figure out why the circuit I used them in acted like our GOV. erratic..

Reply to
Jamie

I've used lots of BC548s and BC547s and never had a generic complaint. Maybe you just have a bad batch or even a counterfeit one.

Reply to
pimpom

Are your transistors actually 25 years old? Please test if the transistor case can be melted with a soldering iron. In 1993 a fire in the Sumitomo Chemical factory caused a worldwide shortage of epoxy encapsulation resin. Some of the replacement stuff proved to be of inferior quality and enormously increased the failure rate of the semiconductor devices.

Only a wild guess...

Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Piatek

already late..

Ha, I'm glad you can follow that pile of wires.. ;)

Reply to
Jamie

On a sunny day (Mon, 8 Feb 2010 03:04:29 +0530) it happened "pimpom" wrote in :

Yes so have I, but these are > 25 years old. The proability of 2 failing within the hour after so long, in totally different circuits, should be very small. To the extend I considered an outside EMP source, but then why only these? And no nuke was triggered here that I know about :-) Amazing coincidence!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:13:20 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

Ohm),

already late..

Ya, this one was simple..... This is on the other side: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/8052AH_BASIC_computer/8052AH_BASIC_computer_inside2_img_1757.jpg

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 07 Feb 2010 22:43:56 +0100) it happened Piotr Piatek wrote in :

Yes they can be melted!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 8 Feb 2010 03:04:29 +0530) it happened "pimpom" wrote in :

Yes so have I, but these are > 25 years old. The proability of 2 failing within the hour after so long, in totally different circuits, should be very small. To the extend I considered an outside EMP source, but then why only these? And no nuke was triggered here that I know about :-) Amazing coincidence!

PS found an EMP source:

Sudden sunspot LOL Coincidence ?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Oh-oh. I hope I'm not falling into the habit of posting hasty replies without thinking. I noticed the "25 year old" term in your opening post, but thought you were referring to the age of the type. I remember vaguely wondering why you felt you had to mention that.

I too have batches of BC548s and related types that are at least

20 years old. They are more common that their JEDEC counterparts over here and I use them regularly. Never had a batch failure. I did have a batch of BA159 fast recovery diodes that tested OK with an analog multimeter, but quickly overheated and died in circuit.

Maybe you were asleep at the time :-)

Reply to
pimpom