Powerful Ultrasonic Speaker Needed

I have an ultrasonic device to stop a neighbors dog from barking. Unfortunately the yards are large and the device is not powerful enough. I need a really powerful ultrasonic speaker. The ultrasonic sound needs to broadcast frequencies too high for humans to hear but dogs must be able to hear it. Can anyone recommended a powerful ultrasonic speaker system?

Reply to
larryj33

Yesterday, an armed robber and his girl friend found out not to attempt an armed robbery in Mesa, AZ.

Man shot dead and girlfriend wounded three times by store owner ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I presume you mean his marksmanship? It should have been TWO dead ;-)

...Jim Thompson

It may make the dog bark more. UDT sells ultrasonic transducers for use in air, but I doubt you'll be able to create very high sound levels.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Smith & Wessons produce nice loud wide-spectrum acoustic pulses, including lots of ultrasound. They are also very effective for stopping dogs barking, but in some localities they may have certain disadvantages, such as getting you put in jail, or stimulating acoustic emission from other nearby Smith & Wessons.

If those disadvantages don't appeal to you, and speaking to the neighbour doesn't work, call the cops each time the dog barks for more than a few minutes.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My oldest son says Crossman CO2 pistols are very effective ;-)

...Jim Thompson

My 686 barks louder than any dog.

The store owner needs to practice gun control.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Gun control *is* hitting your target. The shop owner only did a half-assed job of cleaning the gene pool. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

What a silly law. I can understand "shooting under the influence" being a no-no, but this is silly. Even a properly registered[*] gun can't be taken into the city? Did they have a gun-check stand at the city limits?

[*] Another silly idea.

Never take a gun to a cowboy fight? ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

Save your money, dogs also howl in pain, when stimulated with loud noises. Best to play back the puppies bark with a small time delay, in the audible range, say 30 milliseconds, so it gets confused. Otherwise your wasting your time.

Some other poster came up with that idea a year ago and it works well, we tested it in humans :-)

When we have parades in our township with fire trucks lined up for a half mile, howling is inevitable for all dogs within several miles, discreet ultrasound from the older air driven sirens is what the dogs are protesting about!

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

I can see that. It's sweet-tasting to people, too, and leaving a dish out where a child might run across it is definitely A Stupid Move.

On the other hand, some dogs have been known to die from being fed chocolate. It'd be hard to nail someone for putting 10 Hershey bars in your front yard.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Directionality can be as important as power for longer distances, since the R^^2 law is operative. A small satellite dish (like DirecTV) could be very effective here for two reasons:

  • with lambda of about 1.5 cm at 22 KHz, the sonic halfpower beamwidth is quite small -- and the directional gain is > 30 dB
  • it could be fairly clandestine, because it's hard to tell by looking where an offset-fed paraboloid like that is really aimed.

Powerful source of ultrasound: if you have compressed air, google on Hartmann Whistle. One of these made for 22 KHz would be about the size of a kid's crayon, produces well over 100 dB SPL. One can be made on a lathe in half an hour.

The idea here is not to injure the dog, but to train it. Responding blip for yap is not malicious or agressive behavior on your part. Owners are often not there when dogs bark, which is sometimes why they bark: they're lonesome. Even if they are there, some don't care while others are clueless on how to train a dog and require certain manners.

Just give it a blip per bark until it lears to associate a moment of OW with each yap. (Doesn't seem loud when I bark, but that echo sure smarts!") Some dogs learn quicker than others, most will "get it" eventually.

Reply to
Don Foreman

There was just a news report here of a fellow using antifreeze, he just got 3 years probation.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Record the dog barking and play it back through a loud amplifier on a timeswitch when you are out for the night but you know your neighbour will be in.

Then offer to sell him the device so the he can stop his own dog from barking in future.

Then run....

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

When I lived in Montana, the secondary charge for a drunk would be carrying a loaded weapon within city limits. I think it was a misdemeanor. At any rate, even though there were a lot bar fights when the cowboys came to town, nobody EVER drew a gun.

Al

Reply to
Al

You could end up with a bunch of overweight chocolate lovers fighting in your yard if you aren't careful! ;-)

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What more can you tell me about that? Is it just folklore, or is there more to it? My lab howls along with fire sirens and the large pole mounted one at the school, every Tuesday at 10:00 AM when they test it, but not the police electronic ones. No other dog I've known did that, nor do the neighbors' dogs. (It's more of a low, quiet karaoke than a bay or wolf howl, somewhat endearing until I read what you wrote. Maybe I'm just not hearing the ultrasonics.)

Reply to
Mike Young

Mechanical sirens are much richer in harmonics than electronic sirens that use loudspeakers.

An ordinary dog whistle doesn't work any better with more pressure.

Google on Hartmann whistle. These operate on a different principle than dog whistles, but they but are no bigger or more complex and they can produce some serious ultrasound power using compressed air. They've been used for popping bubbles, as in controlling foam in chemical processes, and atomizing liquids with ultrasound. They are a small enough source to be easily collimated into a narrow beam with a fairly small reflector -- as, e.g., a DirecTV dish.

This would not be a "here, Rover" whistle. SPL at 50 meters would be well above the threshold of pain.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:26:15 GMT, "Mike Young" wroth:

Now there's a germ of an idea! There are dog training whistles that are just ordinary whistles that are built to resonate in the ultrasonic range just above human limits.

Why not make one of those and power it from an air compressor? I think you could get a lot more power from that than any simple electronic speaker.

Jim

Reply to
jmeyer