Power supply bypassing, again

I think I found the basis for our consultant's love of different value caps.

I wonder what you people think of this?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I think that if your consultant is treating power and ground planes like tuned transmission lines, he's a lunatic.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I don't know, but his "simulation" of what's required for our product looks a lot like the example in the PDF. I wonder if I can have a business model like that?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

"Every capacitor has a narrow frequency band where it is effective as a decoupling capacitor."

What a doofus. His example, top of page 8, says it all.

As I mentioned, we use three or four identical, 0.33 uF maybe, bypass caps per FPGA per supply voltage, 9-12 caps total for a Spartan 3. It always works.

John

Yup, I can't say I follow his logic. The effectiveness of a decoupling cap also depends on the current required. Seems to me at least. If I need 1A at 10MHz or 1mA at 10MHz, I'd guess the same value cap won't be doing the same thing.

Yes but I'd say that depends heavily on what you're trying to do with the thing. If you're strictly in the "digital" domain I suppose it's enough, but if you're looking at the outgoing waveforms of a LVDS transmitter, surely the quality of the power supply is paramount. Perhaps a "1" will always be seen as a "1" by a digital receiver expecting the worst, but what if you're looking at it with a high- bandwidth analog scope? Betcha the waveforms won't look the same depending on the amount of power decoupling. This is our problem.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Look at Figure 7. It shows the six caps as having monotonically greater impedances at 1 GHz, with huge differences, even though the esl's aren't very different for the four ceramic caps. That is crazy.

An 0603 cap has an inductance that changes little with capacitance value. So above the srf, the z's will be about the same, regardless of value, converging at high frequencies. That's not what he shows.

Just use biggish 0603 caps, 0.33 uF maybe, and tight power/ground planes. Four caps per supply maybe.

This lunatic is suggesting something like 150 capacitors PER FPGA. How can you route around 300 (or 600!) vias? He should be committed to a nice institution where he can get the help he needs.

John

I don't like how he makes it look like it's the planes demanding the current. He shows cute little current loops looping around the cap and the plane... Shouldn't he also include the path in to the device doing the actual demand? Include the bond wires and die? But that would blow his idea out the door, since typically you can't really know what's going on in there, therefore you can't get a ESL number.

Yes.

I had to. Use 3.5/3 rules to route between vias. It wasn't such a big deal.

I've taken up kayaking. Since I'm mostly a cyclist, my legs get a rest and I feel that I remove far more frustration by rowing, since my upper body is comparatively weak so I feel it more. Plus I get to do and see something different!

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

He's got that "quantity" column... I think each line is the *combined* (parallel) impedance for each of e.g. 32 x 2n2, 16 x 22n, 8x220n, etc. If you look at the intercepts on the left hand "inductance" axis, and assume he means "impedance", then it works out about right.

I can sort of make sense of it if you assume his capacitance values are the largest practical in each package. He is trying to build a ~1000uF capacitor that has ~0.01 ohm impedance over a wide frequency range.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Imagine that Zetacap Inc makes a 10 farad, 0603 ceramic cap. Its SRF will be about 2 KHz. Is it useless as a bypass above that?

We did one gadget that used a Xilinx FPGA, with our bypassing style. One signal path goes in/out four passes. Net jitter on the final outputs is below 30 ps RMS.

But if my competitors have to go to 10 layers and 3 mil traces and use

1000 caps per board, why should I object?

John

This is exactly why I went through the exercise of trying to come up with effective ways to layout bypass capacitors feeding chip pads. This articles examples of isolated caps tied just to planes is silly and pointless.

Reply to
John Popelish

At what bit rate? Can you divide that into random and deterministic jitter numbers?

Because we can do 3 ps jitter? :) Relax, we're not competitors!

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Are you guys still simulating that stuff? Seriously, I'd stop that and get the layout rolling. Much of that staggered cap stuff is voodoo. Doubling everytime you go to the next value down etc., oh man...

Yes, it can help to provide a 3300pF in parallel to a low cost 0.1uF cap but that's about it IMHO.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

It was mostly deterministic, in the sense that one clock was clearly modulating the prop delay of the timing paths that run on a completely different clock.

3 ps with ECL is easy. CMOS is trickier, if only because Vcc modulates prop delay.

John

For an opposing view see the following: www94.web.cern.ch/HSI/s-link/devices/g-ldc/decouple.pdf

Reply to
Jon

That is getting closer to reality, but it still ignores the elephant in the kitchen, namely the planes themselves.

John

Well the planes are full of holes (literally) once you add the vias for the Xilinx approach, which IMHO makes them less ideal and less negligeable.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

ROFL! Great. Almost like some "modern" software. You fire up the greatest of all programs only to find out that it didn't leave enough RAM to do anthing with it.

Anyhow, heck, I'd just lay the thing out and see what shakes out. Probably you could have had several layouts done for the time and money that went into this whole study.