Power Measuring!! Need Assistance

"theJackass"

** This laughing Jackass piece of *Eurotrash* is a pure vermin.

Must be posting straight from an asylum for the criminally insane.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

LOL at Winfield Hill's deposition supported with indepth corroboration and substantiation

Winfield Hill ...You make a nice team with Phil Allison .

"Go easy with the whisky"

theJackal

Reply to
theJackal

LMAO Phil you are too repetitious.

But better die than live mechanically a life that is a repetition of repetitions. D. H. Lawrence

"Go easy on the whisky"

theJackal

Reply to
theJackal

The voltage waveform is not bad, most of the time, in the UK, but the current waveform is usually strange. Look at, or preferably work out, the current waveform into a simple DC transformer- diodes- capacitor power supply, for example.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

"theJackal"

"theJackass"

** This laughing Jackass piece of *Eurotrash* is a pure vermin.

Must be posting straight from an asylum for the criminally insane.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"theJackal" "theJackass"

** This laughing Jackass piece of *Eurotrash* is a pure vermin.

Must be posting straight from an asylum for the criminally insane.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

LOL Wow the Master Star has spoken!

"Go easy on the whisky"

theJackal

Reply to
theJackal

"Tony Williams"

** Err - only true if both waveforms are sine shaped.

This cannot be assumed, even approximately, for current waveform.

However, the computation:

" True Power = average value of V x I

where V = instantaneous voltage and I = instantaneous current. "

is accurate for any combination of waveforms.

** Or, or course where I or V = zero over the averaging period.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

What ?????You are totally WRONG! The Op is TALKING about Mains electricity. TELL US in What cases are Voltage and Current Waveforms NOT SINUSOIDAL? Never.

The Op is TALKING about Mains electricity in which case Voltage and Current waveforms are always sinusoidal . ALWAYS!

Yes a very enlightening formula ...They teach that to 12 year old kids nowadays and has close to zero applicability for the case in consideration.

Total rubbish. Write the Mathematical expression to which it equates to... Its much more useful . But either you are incapable of doing so or you won't because it will disprove everything you are saying.

Now you are starting to copy what I wrote before which totally contradicts the rest of what you are saying.

"Go easy on the whisky"

theJackal

Reply to
theJackal

Here's a fairly ordinary one made in the UK:

Measures up to 40th harmonic!

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

I have lived in the UK for some time and I am aware that the Electrical board there measures Power consumption using a meter that is placed in an Indoor or outdoor raintight metal cabine and measures Sinusoidal waveforms. The Op is trying to measure Power consumption and he needs the basic formulae to do that, that is his only problem. If you want to talk about Sine/Cosine Wave purity of Mains electricity thats another topic and you can start a thread on it in which I will willingly participate.

"Go easy on the whisky"

theJackal

Reply to
theJackal

Did I use the word ONLY? Don't misquote man

Check/Google out on how electricity is generated.

He did write basic formulae ... so why overburden him . Why don't you give us some advanced formulae. I'm rather curious.

"Go easy on the whisky"

theJackal

Reply to
theJackal

Yes harmonics are sinusoids. The old mechanical meters would still measure power consumption due to presence of harmonics.

"Go easy with the whisky"

theJackal

Reply to
theJackal

Yes, of course they would, that's because they had two coils that gave continuous multiplication of voltage by current! Harmonics are sinusoids, but if you want to go down that route, so is every repetitive waveform.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Using parentheses would be helpful:

True Power = average value of (V x I)

(and make sure to properly use signed values).

Ignoramus19198

"theJackal" "theJackass"

** This laughing Jackass & psychopath is pure usenet vermin.

Likely posting direct from an asylum for the criminally insane.

His comments are all plagiarised from Google.

Would almost be funny - if he was not so dangerous.

[...]

How do you know that the power board's instrument only measures sinusoidal waveforms? And just *why* can't the current waveform be other than sine? OP wants to actually measure the power - who are you to limit him to a 'basic formula'?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor