power factor correction

Hi to all. I am looking to design a PFC (input current shaping) cct for up to about 300W (universal input). I have been pointed to an ic GPTAC1300 from Green power which looks like it would be perfect for the job. Anyone have any experience with this chip. Are there any other "common" ic's that are easly obtainable and "cheap" , that have similar or better functionality. Thanks Rob

Reply to
seegoon99

Your reference is a power switch integrated with a CCM controller in a custom TO247 body. These are unlikely ever to be either particularly cheap, or second-sourced.

I would steer clear of any mfr that places power mos switch drain and small-signal control feedback terminals on adjacent pins of any IC package. This illustrates a basic naivety of practical power electronics.

Commodity type 8-pin CCM PFC controller IC's (add your own power switch):

L6561 MC34260/34261 ML4803 ML4824 NCP1650 UCC38051 UCC38500

Not an inclusive list, by a long shot.

RL

Reply to
legg

Hello RL,

That would give me goose pimples.

Plus lots of European parts but if you are in North America it's often better to stick with the big semi mfgs here. Infineon has some real nice ones though, like the TDA16888 that combines PFC and PWM in one chip:

Regards, Joerg

Joerg