powdered ferrite with glue.

Ya, that's interesting, I see the loss tangent of (distilled) water (0.005) is not as good as polystyrene (0.0001), but it's not terrible. Now, what can be done with that? ;-) Mikek

amdx

Water is diamagnetic; capacitive effects aside, it should decrease the inductance of a solenoid. Distilled or deionized water ought not to be very lossy (though it does warm in a microwave oven).

Reply to
whit3rd

To keep the experiment simple, I used about 10 or 20 turns on one of those small water bottles. When empty, I measured the self-resonant frequency with a grid dip meter. Filled the bottle with tap water and checked it again. I don't remember the exact frequency but it was definitely in the MHz region. There was change in self-resonant frequency that I was going use to check water level when my project was finished.

John

Reply to
John S

microwaves operate on a resonant frequency of water. at other frequencies losses should be less.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

That's capacitance change. Some rockets had guidance systems that used water-based capacitance change inclinometers:

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Not so. Molecular resonances of water are in the IR, a factor of 10^13 / 10^9 = 10,000 higher.

The first microwave ovens ran at 915 MHz, and the large commercial ovens still do. The problem with 915 MHz is that one cannot cook bacon

- too thin.

.

The frequencies are chosen to fall fall into the ISM bands: ..

The bands of ISM are harmonically related, so all harmonics of a crude transmitter will fall into one or another of the ISM bands, and not interfere with communications.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Correct. As I say above, "while it actually increases the stray capacitance".

Reply to
John S