Potting in thermally insulating foam

I just insulated my basement with the pink stuff. I didn't have any problems with itching this time. It seems they've changed the formulation some. Still gotta wear a mask, though.

Reply to
krw

Just make sure you get the right one. The cheapest version sets HARD and exerts enough force to bend window frames. The slightly more expensive version is much softer.

Reply to
mike

Or find someone who doesn't constantly cut corners. :(

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Around open wounds? I've put up with it for over five years already, and even the cotton ball & vinegar can rip it open around the edges.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's a national pastime in some countries.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

around the

and we

things that

shell.

function of

will be a

female

Double oven!

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

So is target shooting. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Were you hot & sweating, or was it a cold day? Makes a big difference.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

rote:

ound

g like

ince I

box around the

uits, and we

e things that

ut,

1 when a

ing shell.

y function of

self will be a

e are

s female

goal

Double fudge brownies!

Hmm. Ideally, if the ovens and their contents were isothermal there wouldn't be any convection. But life being what it is, a chunk of copper in the inner box might be necessary to ensure that.

Adequately insulated, the outer box forces the inner box to the same temp.

Interesting choices. I guess fastest-settling is an inner oven at something less (cooler) than the LTZ die, and an outer oven cooler than the inner, all actively controlled.

I'm not sure what matters most to John though--stability of temp, or isothermal environment.

--
Cheers,
James

[...]

I only want to run the die at 10-15K above the max ambient (about

30'C). Otherwise long term stability is degraded. So there might not be scope for too many levels here.

Isothermal environment (pads) I think, at the moment. The die has its own integrated heater and sensor and there is an external control circuit to accurately stabilise the die temperature. The function of the insulation is more to stop air currents, which could result in fluctuating pad/lead temperatures. And cause large errors due to 35uV/K kovar-copper thermocouples. The insulation also reduces the power requirements and should prevent external thermal gradients appearing across the critical pads the way I am doing it.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Thanks. That will be useful for handling a variety of materials.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

like

Perhaps you can use rock wool in close, wrap in a plastic film, foam the outside, and cut back to target dimensions. Better potential reparability.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

like

around the

and we

things that

function of

will be a

Depends, that might be NaCo3 treated paper shreds.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

the

we

that

of

be a

Nah, it's definitely fibre glass or "rock wool" I suppose, I put it in!

And yes got rash all over my arms the first time.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Dawn was the one I used most of the time. The cheap watery stuff didn't work as well.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sure it makes a difference but I was sweating at times. When I was in NY, I did it in the middle of the Winter and still itched for days. I think they've changed the fiber, perhaps it doesn't break as easily, or perhaps breaks in larger pieces. There is some marketing blurb on the packaging about it but doesn't explain it at all.

Reply to
krw

newer formulations have bio-soluble fibres, the itch goes in a few hours.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I haven't bought any in 14 years, and still have a full roll left so I'm not familiar with any changes. This wasn't OCF.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell