POTS line quality help

The telco frees up a real copper circuit for a higher value customer, and puts the cheapskates with basic phone only onto shared multiplexed lines. That destroys 56k and derivatives functioning at anything like full speed. V34+ will work better if the problem is as I describe.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

That's what I said. There is *no* incentive to help you get something that you're not paying them for.

Reply to
krw

=20

=20

BELLCO=20

(making=20

=20

56k

=20

=20

Have you seen the RFC on carrier pigeons?

Reply to
JosephKK

Real copper? A lot of the US has gone to Fiber optics to within a mile or two of your home. I haven't seen much copper in Florida for close to 20 years, except for the 'last mile'.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I had four miles of copper between my house and the CO in VT, on one line (the other went to an extender/mux in the neighborhood). Here, it's more like three (just at the limit of DSL, according to AT&T).

Reply to
krw

A large scale phase out of copper started in this area about 20 years ago. The large CO buildings are gone, and replaced with facilities that look like a two car garage. Between all the lakes, low lying land with standing water part of the year & lightning, they have reduced the outages quite a bit. There is a group of Century Link cabinets less than a mile from here that convert from fiber to copper. There was no DSL in this area until the conversion to fiber truck to the nearest switching center. Now there is so much 'last mile' copper that the DSL can be installed on a separate pair.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

applicable

something

engineers=20

will=20

free".

testing.

same.

OK. It seems that TerraTerm Pro is part of the problem. XP comes with a properly primitive terminal program though. You might try that.

Reply to
JosephKK

The guy clearly lives in the boonies and doesn't have two pennies to rub together. It is entirely reasonable to assume that their local phone system is antique and decrepit. The "fault" he describes is identical to the problems people on multiplexed voice only lines experienced when 56k technology was rolled out. That is why I referred him to that old FAQ.

Most places in the UK are fibre up to the local exchange, but the last few miles is copper. Utilities are fighting tooth and nail in rural areas to avoid putting in any extra copper. That means as lines fail and more and more people get ADSL the remaining few on voice only lines are multiplexed in a black box somewhere between the exchange and their home. Answers.com has a description of the technology at about the right level for the OP to understand.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

That sounds like a deal better than Qwest; gets your data transferred

*and* also gives you shit.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Do not use XP, but maybe a similar prog is available with Win98SE; will look for it. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Pair Gain isn't cheap in the US. Copper from the house to the CO started disappearing over 25 years ago in the US. My first encounter was when the phone company ripped out a leased pair between a fire station & their siren at a paper mill a half mile away. That caused a mad scramble to convert it (and others) to remote control by VHF radio. That took over $1000 out of the volunteer fire department's budget.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No problem, if you're sending a lot of messages to your PUCO! :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Found HyperTerm for Win98SE, it seemed to be installed but did not work. So..uninstall, reboot, install and it works.. .. sort-of. ATDT972-231-0633 (wait a bit)

+++ AT%L%Q ERROR AT&V1 ERROR AT&L ERROR ATO (am now back online with isp asking for username and password) So, STILL cannot get info! What next?
Reply to
Robert Baer

They should have filed a lawsuit, charged that loss including other general and punitive damages - for starters.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I suppose they should have sued when Ohio Bell replace the individual conductors with lead cable, too? There is no guarantee that the technology will never change.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

applicable

if=20

=20

=20

=20

informative.

+++=20

=20

=20

same.

with

work.

OK i started here:

Google: "at command set" Which finds many things with these being on the first page

s.html

Each one has links to further material.

So you may want to add some more initialization commands before the dial command. Notably adjusting the S37 register, some N, V, and maybe W command; possibly starting with ATZ by itself. Of course you may wish to look at the results of some I commands as well. For controlling connection speed it should be done before the dial command.

HTH

Reply to
JosephKK

Pair gain is a heck of a lot cheaper than running new cables to the exchange in sparsely populated rural areas (which the US has a lot of).

If you had a leased line from the telco then they have to provide a functionally equivalent replacement service over a virtual circuit. What you say does not make sense. I don't see what the problem is. The end user never knows what the details of the local exchange technology is.

Or are you saying that some cowboys from the fire service way back when piggybacked a siren connection into telco circuit trunking and telco snipped the cables when the upgraded to fibre optics?

Why could you not continue with telco leased line service?

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

It's simple. They were using it as a simple low voltage, current limited remote switch which wasn't guaranteed by the contract, but the phone company knew it was there and let them get away with it for decades. Prior to that the dispatcher had to call the factory to have the siren activated by an employee. A leased line was still available, but was no longer a direct copper path between the two buildings. Technology moves on, and old equipment is retired as it happens. Since a lot of small departments had to move to radio control, the county set up a county wide control system so they could set off the siren directly. the could chose a single station, a small group, or in a disaster, every station in the county.

Fiber to the premise in the '80s? Dream on!

It was no longer compatible with a simple SPST wall mounted switch across the line.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Then the phone company was entirely within their rights to snip it.

That seemed to be what you were claiming. We had internal fibre links on campus as a part of one of the earliest WANs in the early 1980's.

So you were using a spurious feature that was not supported by the telco. Pretty much as I suspected a prehistoric jerry rigged cowboy wiring solution that they did not guarantee to support.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown