Polarity for starting cap

I am replacing a starting cap for a fan.

It has a red and white wire.

Is there a polarity to those like for the can style caps ?

I don't want to fry it. :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

Usually red is Hot and white is Neutral.

Reply to
tm

When I hooked it up and tried the fan, nothing happened.

I looked at the armature and it's a silver color unlike the copper color that I have seen in others.

I replaced the armature and rotated it, and it sort of wobbled instead of being a fixed distance away from the windings through out a complete revolution.

The owner of the fan ran it about 12 hrs. a day for 7 days a week.

The bearings were frozen before using PB Penetrating Catalyst to loosen it up.

If it had oil lube holes for the bearings, the fan would last for a long time :-)

I'll just keep the starting capacitor for something else.

Adios, Andy

Reply to
Andy K

I will tell the store owner that I could not fix the fan and ask if he wants it back.

He probably won't want it back and I can salvage the cord to use for a short extension cord.

Andy

I may keep the blade too.

I repaired a fan for my daughter that had a small piece of one blade missing, so I used Gorilla glue and glued a dime to the blade to balance it.

:-)

Reply to
Andy K

Probably graphite impregnated, sintered bushes. Shouldn't be oiled.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)