PLL Phase Margin Measurement Technique

Here it is:

The "PLL Widget" they describe here:

They claim this widget can be replaced with a simple resistor that is higher impedance than the output of the loop filter.

But it seems to me that the loop is still closed in this case, unless the resistor is extremely high.

It appears they keep the VCO in lock (closed loop), and add a perturbation between loop filter and VCO, and measure the amplitude and phase shift.

All the literature i have seen refers to the Open loop bode response, typically G(s)H(s), in terms of calculating the phase margin.

On the other hand, it seems like keeping the VCO in lock is the only practical way to do this.

Slick

Reply to
radio913

Yes, they are keeping the VCO in lock, and operating the thing in closed loop. Yet they are still measuring the open-loop response of the PLL. This is done because they measure the output of the loop (Vx) and the input of the loop (Vy), _then they divide them_. The result, Vx/Vy, is the open-loop gain.

This sort of measurement is common in control systems, and very useful. It is particularly useful when you have a system (like a PLL) which only conforms to a linear model when the loop is active.

Here's an article to ponder on the general technique, which goes into more detail on the whys and wherefores:

I hope it helps.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

See also

they "invented" this technique..

but I see now you have to give them your e-mail to get to the tech library....

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Ridley also does one at shit loads of dollars a pop.......

They don't work if your loop is not somewhere near stable in the first place.

Of course Ridley also offers seminars where he explains how to analyse the loop in the first place, at shit loads of dollars a pop....... but you still need one at shit loads of dollars a pop which suggests something else..... Mind you, you also get 345 for free... normal price, shit loads of dollars a pop.

Still, these days there isn't much take up but there used to be a list of companies who enlisted their engineers on the seminar. Ooooh Dear, how embarrassing......

DNA

Reply to
Genome

I use Middlebrook's method. See my website.

...Jim Thompson

Interesting stuff. All the phase-locked-loop stuff is directly from the control systems theory, but it's funny how you can say "good command following" to a PLL guy, and he still won't know what you mean!

So really the "Open loop frequency/phase response" is really a misnomer, in the sense that you do NOT open the loop at all, but measure the closed loop at one point, with some sort of buffer (a resistor, or in your case, an adder) in between the injection point and the receive point.

Are most of your control systems for mechanical things like elevators or robotic arms? Or more for like temperature or pressure or flow control systems?

PLL design revolves around low phase noise, but I remember my control systems class talked about noise rejection with good command following, so i'm sure you worry about noisy signals too. For us, it's dBc/Hz @ xxx Hz Offset from the center carrier. Do control systems designers measure this with signal/noise ratios, or something like voltage % ripple on a command line?

Thanks for you input, Tim.

Slick

Reply to
radio913

That's some good stuff too, thanks.

Slick

Reply to
radio913

Yes, but try saying "good lock acquisition time" and see what he says.

Yes and no. It's what the response _would_ be if you could trust the plant in open loop. Some fortunate designers actually get to test their plants in open loop, most don't.

  • Precision mechanical loops that need to hold a target and reject disturbances.
  • Fast mechanical loops that need to accelerate as fast as possible, decelerate as fast as possible, and come to a stop without bashing the end of mechanical travel.
  • Temperature loops (at 77 Kelvin, no less)
  • Video PLLs. This includes one that spans three microprocessors, three FPGAs, and two communications links -- yet still makes sense given the system it's embedded in.
  • Motor PLLs.
  • You name it.

Usually the specification is in terms of the amount of acceptable deviation from a command, due both to poor command following and noise injection. Usually this specification is _not_ accompanied by any specified noise levels or command strengths, so some customer education and product-area research needs to be done.

The control system part of controlling phase noise in a PLL is just good old disturbance rejection, but there's a lot of oscillator and phase detector choices in there that aren't directly involved in control theory (but whose desirable characteristics certainly are informed by control theory).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

No it's not a misnomer..you are measureing or determining the open loop gain and phase of the loop but you are making the measurement while the loop is closed. The true closed loop response of a PLL loock like a low pass filter. These techniques give you the open loop response.

If you were to really open the loop, it would rail out and you could not make any measurements. I think the widget thing actually does open the loop for all frequencies except the very low frequencies.

The Venable method keeps the loop fully closed but is still measuring the open loop response...that's why it is so slick..

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Point well taken.

If we look at this:

By definition, the closed loop response is Theta out/ Theta ref, which is obviously not the same as injecting and receiving a signal before and after a buffer at point 3.

The widget is a sort of low pass filter, but the loop is still fully closed.

But yes, the VCO would be free-running if the loop was truly open, and the correction voltage from the phase frequency detector would be all over the place, instead of the low frequency baseband correction frequency that we would have with two phase-locked sources.

radio913

That would be well understood. Aka, "fast acquisition time", or "fast settling time."

Yeah, too bad we can't trust our VCO to stay in one place for very long (locked to the reference), otherwise we could REALLY open the loop and take a measurement.

Interesting. Are you using root locus techniques for positioning poles and zeros in the s-plane?

I never got too deep into that stuff, but if i'm not mistaken, the unity gain frequency of the open loop @

-180 degrees will be a pole in the right hand plane, right?

radio913