PLCC adapter plug-in solution

I have a PLCC type mc68000 processor in a PLCC socket and I'm interested in adding an interface board which needs to access several pins of the processor. I'm picturing myself the interface board with some sort of plug-in PLCC adapter which firmly plugs into the existing PLCC socket (with the 68000 inserted into). Is there such a thing, or are there better solutions available?

Here's a photo of the MC68000 processor in the PLCC socket:

And here's a drawing I've made which illustrates my idea of inserting the DIY interface board into the PLCC socket with the 68000:

NoSp

socket:

68000:

If you search for SMT adapters or test sockets, you may find something close to what you need. Ironwood Electronics comes to mind, but they're quite pricey. HTH

-Dave Pollum

Reply to
Dave Pollum

You're right. I had a look at their site where I found "PLCC extenders" to seem suitable for the task. Of course at around 100 bucks a piece it's out of the question.

Reply to
NoSp

There's another place I remembered: smt-adapter.com P/N: 68PL-W ($12.00) has a 68-pin PLCC socket that plugs into a carrier board that holds wire wrap pins. You could make a small PCB that breaks out each pin. You place your break-out PCB just underneath the carrier board and solder the pins to your break-out board. Then you insert and solder the ww-pins into your main board. This is what I had in mind:

[ ] [ ]
Reply to
Dave Pollum

Reply to
NoSp

Just out of curiosity, how many adapters do you need? There are PLCC "plugs":

P/N: M68PL-PL-ZAL looks like it would be perfect for you, but it's $190.00! Oh well. Keep on Googling, you may find what you want at a decent price. Let us know what you find.

-Dave Pollum (who does _not_ work for smt-adapter.com)

Reply to
Dave Pollum