Piezo Buzzers (discs) as Antennae

Can anyone please provide references on the use of factory-made piezo discs, either singly or in array, as an "antenna"? I refer not to buzzers with built-in circuitry, but the bare discs available in diameters up to around 50mm.

What would be the frequency range? Is this wholely dependent on the resonant frequency of the disc?

I am aware they contain a fairly exotic Titanate dielectric of the type used in underwater communications. I imagine they must have other interesting applications for the experimenter.

Bob Stern

Reply to
Bob Stern

You been hanging out with Bill Beatty? Sounds like one of his wacky- enough-to-work ideas.

I think they're too small to use as "antennas", but...

It might be interesting to bounce microwaves off the brass side of one (polished to mirror brightness) for FM. I don't think it'd be very deep though; AFAIK they don't undergo much excursion. A cascade of them driven with enough delay between to account for time-of-flight?

Place two face-to-face and bounce a laser between them nearly perpendicularly to FM the beam?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

I'd think they could be used as some sort of patch antenna at microwave frequencies. Maybe even fairly broadband depending on the launch point. I think that some of the early GPS antennas weren't much bigger.

Reply to
jfma

You keep putting "antenna" in quotes -- are you trying to receive vibrations in the air, the water, or the aether?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I wondered about that too - whether the OP is thinking of using them as electro-mechanical transducers.

Reply to
pimpom

I've used 40kHz transducer as transmitter and receiver (matched pairs), but it was around 1975 ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Sigh. I've got "antenna" locked in with EM from another thread in sci.physics.

Sure, that use of piezos as "antennas" is all over the web these days.

Duh.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

piezo

type

=46rom the get go i thought OP was looking for something like the = Sparkfun SE-00639.

Reply to
JosephKK