picosecond test points

After posting I realized that a ferrite 'bead' is just like a one turn toroid. So it is pretty hard to couple in any field. It might be fun to try and measure. A one loop 'pick-up' coil versus a coil with a ferrite bead on it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Loops in the PCB trace layout will be better magnetic pickups than a ferrite bead.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Thats way too expensive for such an old scope. I strongly doubt you can actually use this scope at 3GHz. It has BNC inputs (where most other equipment uses N or SMB for anything over 500MHz). There several offered on Ebay but they are not getting sold for 5k.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

John Larkin a écrit :

And the comments above the wonderful circuit is pretty bad as well...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

(a) You can buy four of them for the price of anything comparable new; (b) They work great. (c) Nobody spending his own money buys for what the dealers are asking.

I've got one on my shopping list for 2012--we'll see!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

BNCs work fine at 3 GHz. But you'd need active probes in a lot of situations, like snooping serial busses, and they can get expensive.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Especially if there are unrelated pieces of ferrite sitting inside the loop, yelling "All you fluxes, come here, here is a well-paved road".

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

A surface-mount ferrite bead is not much magnetic volume. I don't know how they are constructed, but I don't think they are coils... maybe just serpentines. Beads typically have a few uH of base indictance.

This claims that beads are "closed magnetic circuits" and "inherently shielded."

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yeah, could you please translate that into English for us?