PIC12F629 simulation with MPLAB 5.2

I sucessfully compiled and burned a sample pic12F629 assembly program using an older version of MPLAB (5.20.00). However, the MPLAB simulator doesn't support the 629, and the GPIO pin changes cannot be monitored while stepping the program.

Most of the other stuff works using various processors on the simulator menu, variables change and so forth, but the ultimate output on the five GPIO pins never changes, so I can't see what is really happening.

Is there some way of using the existing simulator of MPLAB 5.2 to step a 629 program and monitor the GPIO pins?

Or, do I need to upgrade to a later version of MPLAB?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Hey Bill, I'm glad you were able to burn those parts!

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

"Bill Bowden" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@e10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...

FAIK the current version of MPLAB is 8.10 which supports 12Fxxx and 10Fxxx PICs amongst many ohers. You 'd better upgrade. It's still free.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@e10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...

Yes, it's free but difficult to download with a dial-up connection. I tried today and got 60% of the 89M file in a few hours before my ISP disconnected. I tried to reconnect and continue, but the process started over from scratch, and I lost the first 4 hours of data.

I suppose I can try again and run it all night, maybe I'll get it in a week or so, maybe not.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@e10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...

You have a lot more guts than i have; i do not even try to transfer any files over 5Mbytes (also on dial-up). On rare occasion i am able to get access to a computer with high speed internet, and i download to a thumb drive for later use. On other rare occasions, someone has been kind enough to download and write a CD, then send that CD to me.

Reply to
Robert Baer

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@e10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...

I think Microchip would send you one, if asked. They include the MPLAB disk with just about everything they sell and I suspect that most distributers as well as their field reps would do so without asking questions. However, I'd be willing to burn you a copy (or just send you one of the several from Microchip I have laying about here.) You can write me at my email with an address. And don't worry about postage. My treat.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Bill Bowden wrote:

Gecko's "Download Manager" traditionally hasn't been a true Download Manager. It wouldn't restart a broken download. This was a glaring flaw with Mozilla browsers. I understand it has been corrected in Firefox 3.

Most people who use dialup and Mozilla traditionally used a 3rd-party Download Manager. There are a scad of them.

*.*.Version.*.*.*.*+zh+SeaMonkey+registration.required

Reply to
JeffM

You can get a trial versions of oshonsoft PICxxF Simulator IDE here.

The downloads are under 1MB. They have a much better simulator then the one in MPLAB.

Reply to
Hammy

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@e10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...

Thanks, I'll do that if I give up on MPLAB 5.2. I think I have a setup that works with 5.2 with the exception of monitoring the GPIO lines. I compiled and burned a working program today and just added another variable that has a copy of the GPIO state. Works well for bit banging, not sure about other options.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@e10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...

I may not have as many guts as you. Some of mine have been removed, and others re-arranged.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

James,

Yes, I'm happy to get the things working to some degree. The price was right, and to fully enjoy a bargain, you have to follow up and put it to use. No sense in buying something cheap that never gets used.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

This whole "download manger" thing makes me nuts. For a free open source browser why not use any of the reliable free open source FTP programs. Many even provide a "download manager" like interface (except a lot better). They can track a dozen or more parallel large downloads (saturate your line). .

Reply to
JosephKK

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@e10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...

You need some sort of download manager. I haven't had to deal with this kind of problem in ages though. Maybe Firefox has this built in? Also you might check bittorrent for this file. It'll keep the download going for you and resume.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

They just updated to 8.3. The size is 89.3MB.

Microchips got a nice pipe I Downloaded it off them at 1.1MB/s ;)

Reply to
Hammy

Yet another download to do. Cripes.

Hmm. I'm getting 27 kilobytes/sec (and my DSL is limited to about

90, given my location in the woods.) I routinely get near the 90 limit from other sites. Must be either a slow day for Microchip or else my server cloud is stuffed, right now.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Still good here bouncing between 1 and 1.2MB/s.It's primetime here too. Not to bad for nintey-bucks a month that includes full cable TV.

I feel for you. For a month here they were doing upgrades, my connection reverted to dial-up. It took me almost two hours to download the NET framework update.

On the plus side my speed doubled from 5Mb to 10Mb sometimes better then ten. They now have some ridiculously high speed packages availible.10Mb is good enough it's not to often I can even max that out. Even MS update site is only useing about half of it.

The only downside to cable is the upload is only 512kb.

Reply to
Hammy

I saw mine go up to about 70kilobyte/sec, which is about all I've a right to expect with my DSL.

Cable folks want about US$3000 to run the line here. That's from the road to the house (they have already wired up everyone in my area -- except this house.) Apparently, the original owner many years back refused to get cable, wasn't wired up at the time when they offered, and so now they won't consider doing anything here without my paying for the 1/4 mile of cable it takes to get from the road to the house. (Rain forest woods, here.) I don't blame them for the expensive offer

-- it will cost them a fair piece of change -- but it's not something I'm willing to consider paying that much for. So neither of us want to pay the bills for a cable line and there we sit.

Phone company has offered a better box (they say) than the old DSL modem they originally gave me in 2002. However, their new device is a combined modem and router and, frankly, I already went to hell and back getting things nicely set up as it is. I'd be fine with replacing just the modem, but the idea of getting rid of the router I have now and having to figure out the new one they sent is something I may have to wait a while on, too. No manual on it... nothing. Not even a cheat sheet, included. Just a box, some foam, the modem/router and a pretty picture on a piece of paper included in the box. They say it might pop up to 1.5 megabit/sec.

The original work I saw on ADSL (I think the line cards for Verizon use ADSL) was some 256 separate bands and the ability to handle from 3 megabit to 8 megabit, depending on distance to the CO. That was back in the 1990's, sometime. I've been told the line cards are capable of

8 megabit, anyway. They should be able to get me better than where I'm at... but they don't.

Fiber will be a while coming out here. With the _average_ property size being 5 acres here and many of them (like mine) much larger, and with business down as it is, I'm not expecting them to jump at the chance to run miles of fiber per house for a few ten-spots a month. Mostly likely, we'll see fiber here only when the remaining folks at the phone company who know anything about copper wire dies or retires and the young kids they hire whodon't know anything other than fiber refuse to work on the copper lines and they are forced into it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

In Firefox, use Tools -> Downloads to list current and past downloads. If a download aborts prematurely, there should be a "Resume" button.

Reply to
Nobody

If it's anything like the UK's ADSL, getting 8 Mbit/sec requires that you're within spitting distance of the exchange and the copper to your premises is in mint condition. So long as you can get 2 Mbit/sec, then it's considered "working".

Reply to
Nobody

berichtnews: snipped-for-privacy@e10g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...

PMJI. If you get a copy of wget (a GNU command line utility) you can tell it to restart a failed HTTP download. It may take a few tries but you don't get stuck downloading the first half of the file N times.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs