PIC question

I am tired of writing bit-banger I2C pseudo-masters, so I looked for PICs with I2C masters built-in. There seem to be very few. Do they have to pay a license fee to someone to include a I2C master? Or does it use a lot of silicon real estate? Or is it generally that PICs are used in slave devices?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

The PIC24Fs have I2C masters.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Be careful, many of the 24F silicon have a nasty I2C power-on bug:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Dump the PIC and use an ARM based controller and you'll be in a whole new wonderfull world very soon.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Also the Atmel AtmegaXXX series have I2C compatible interfaces, but they call it TWI (two wire interface).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Probert

Never heard of a LIBRARY include?

Write Once, Use many!

"

Reply to
Jamie

Bah, I'm lazy. I make maybe one project a year, by which time I've completely forgotten everything and the time it takes to re-learn using libraries and stuff is the same as re-writing my code... My code is all ad hoc baby, I don't understand it two days later!

I've never written an I2C "master", but code that does just enough to act like one for long enough...

So, being lazy, I figure my best approach is to use a chip that has everything I want in hardware, so at least the code is more obvious when I'm writing to registers. And I know it's a real I2C master, no a kludge I wrote a year ago.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

The 18F series has I2C. Does not show up in the parameter search because it's handled by the MSSP. I have used the MSSP in SPI mode on a 18F2550, but have not needed I2C yet.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, TX