Phase shifter question

The phase shifter described in H&H has a phase that starts at 0 at DC and then goes to negative 180 at high freq. (excuse me if I got the definition of phase backwards) Is there a phase shifter that shifts phase the other direction with respect to freq, i.e. start at -180 at low freq and increases to 0?

Reply to
alan

The phase shifter that exists shifts the phase later with higher frequencies. Later in phase is minus values of degrees. The phase goes from 0 to -180 as frequency increases.

The phase shifter you want poses a bit of a problem. It requires that the phase go earlier with higher frequencies. Over a limited band this can be done but not without also having a variation in gain. This is because, in real life, only information from the past can be used in creation of the output.

Reply to
MooseFET

Then how about those time machines?

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Just invert the output.

John

Or learn to read ?:-)

-180° is _always_ lagging.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Technically that will yield a phase shifter that goes from -180 degrees to -360 -- the endpoints will be right, but if the OP needs a positive slope then he needs to find the contact information for Non-Causal Systems, Inc. to get the parts. (their number is in next year's phone book).

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

If the OP is referring to H&H figure 2.29, just reverse inputs phi1 and phi2.

Or as I would designate them (as shown in H&H)...

phi1 => +ein

phi2 => -ein

180° phase difference between inputs +ein and -ein.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Or he could use those dilithium capacitors that JL figured the guy in the other thread uses.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Oh, come oh, the digital guys use non-casual filters all the time.

You just to overlook the input-output latency involved and designs can be as non-casual as you'd like. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

You'd be lagging at -180=B0 too.=20

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

Yes and no. Let's say you have a differential signal.

in out

So feed the low frequency with crossed inductors and feed the high frequency is non-crossed capacitors.

Assuming source and load resistors, this should end up as an all-pass network with phase shift.

Reply to
miso