Performance Appraisals

I would have pulled out my pocket knife and trimmed my sideburns, then offered to trim his.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

asking

veiled...

Occasionally leave an empty gun holster on your desk. Works wonders.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

wrong

that

so

No, you did not *have* to do that:

You chose to bail the arsehole out so he will be there to screw up in the future - and - said person being a jackass will not even be buying you beer for it too. Counterproductive!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

It was either do the work or be fired. I didn't do it to help him, in any way. I needed the job, because there was nothing else available in my field at the time. The only open job I could find was chief engineer at WRGT TV, Ch 45 in Dayton, Ohio which was an even longer drive. They were only offering minimum wage for a 40 hour a week salary, and you would be on call 24/7. They also demanded that I live no more than 2 miles from the studio and transmitter sites which didn't have any reasonably priced homes. Would you take a loss on the sale of your home and buy one at five times the price, while taking a 70% cut in pay? I couldn't, and I didn't. I just suffered though another of his messes, and made a lot in overtime.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hopefully it'll even out. The higher ups will probably be aware of the extra overtime they needed to spend to solve this problem. Ideally they'll know who to blame for the problem.

Often if you care for the overall health of the company, you need to solve a crisis and in so doing bail out some incompetent. C'est la vie.

-Dave

--
David Ashley                http://www.xdr.com/dash
Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture

That was 20 years ago, and Ernie was forced to quit over sexual harassment charges, filed by then current and former female employees.

I always worked my ass off at any job. The big bosses weren't stupid. When major problems go away right after someone new is hired, they know it's not a long term employee who suddenly started working harder, smarter, or both. After the sudden changes the owner came for a visit to see what had happened. Of course, Ernie tried to take the credit. The owner turned to me and said, Great! Now tell me exactly what you did to fix the problems Ernie couldn't. I described what I had done to take us from the lowest customer service rated CATV system in the area, to the number one in under six months. Ernie was quite pissed!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Nobody expects the Spannish Inquisition"

(google for that phrase if it means nothing to you)

:)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

I currently work offshore, on a survey ship. Parts of the crew works two weeks on and two weeks off, other parts of the crew works four weeks on and four weeks off. In this sort of situation, everything is exaggerated by a factor 50 or more.

Start with the food and housing. If any of these are poor, the performance of the whole ship is affected. People who complain about the food spend energy on trivialities, that drain from their work capacity. People who don't sleep well, get tired and worn out very quickly.

Next, the contact with friends and family. A 10 minute phone call every

couple of days may be OK to stay in touch, but not to sort out domestic problems. What was that $1000 bill that dropped in the mail two days ago really all about? Why was the 5-year-old sick in kindergarden today? What are my chances with that girl I met at the part last weekend? These are more or less trivial questions in everyday life; they can become enormous at the best of times when one is prevented from following up quickly and personally.

Then there is the weather. When at sea, you have to work on the grace of mother nature. If the weather is too bad to do any work, there

is nothing you can do about it. Maybe you even have to seek more sheltered waters. Different people have different tolerance to sea sickness. You are expected to do your job as long as there is working conditions what the VESSEL is concerned. If your tolerance is lower, then you have a problem.

So you see, there may be lots of relevant "non-work-related factors" to consider. True, at sea the conditions may be more extreme, but the general principle and line of thought applies everywhere.

Rune

Reply to
Rune Allnor

DONT YOU THINK THIS IS WASTE OF TIME SPENDING TIME ON SOME NON CORE NON TECHNOLOGY RELATED MATTER. END UP THIS DISCUSSION SORRY TO SAY THIS.. BUT I SEE THAT OUR GENIUS PEOPLE IN THIS GROUP ARE SPENDING MUCH AMOUNT OF THEIR BRAINS IN THIS KIND OF DISCUSSION..PLEASE DO INVEST YOUR EFFORTS IN MORE TECHNOLOGY RELATED THINGS..

I AM NOT PREACHING ANY..ITS THEIR INTEREST..BUT SEE MANY A QUESTIONS OF TRUE TECHNOLOGIES ARE NOT ATTENDED.

REGARDS PARTICLEREDDY.

Reply to
PARTICLEREDDY (STRAYDOG)

No one is going to pay attention to any idiot who posts in all caps.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In message , dated Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Michael A. Terrell writes

Who did that?

-- OOO - Own Opinions Only. Try

and
There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2. John Woodgate, J M Woodgate and Associates, Rayleigh, Essex UK

Reply to
John Woodgate

Stop shouting. Bug off.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF= =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF

And besides, all work and no play makes a dull person (and a dull employee too ;)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

And besides, all work and no play makes a dull person (and a dull employee too ;)

Is there any other sort of employee?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I'm not sure. All caps gives me a splitting headache, so I don't even read them anymore.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I disagree, the appearance upon entering the interview stated clearly that the candidate was not in the least interested in working for a suit bound, mature hierarchy and had reasonable desire to minimize the amount of time lost to both parties. I am wildly extrapolating that said candidate would not have presented the same way at your company.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

And what locale would that have been in?

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

And if i have followed the story aright, Ernie reaped the "full benefit" of what he had sown.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Yes, the kind that makes the both of you well off to wealthy.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

If you call having to move out of the state to find another job "full benefit", well, yes. He deserved more than he got, but he would never find work in that part of Ohio in a similar position, again. That, plus the business we worked in generally knew about bad apples, because the word spread fairly fast. When a system manager either quit or was fired, it was obvious that something was wrong with them. If they didn't like where they were at, they would line up another job first so it would appear that it was their choice to move on. On the other hand, when the trade journals printed a blurb that "company ABC" has hired a new manager to replace "XYZ" who quit without notice, people know that something is wrong with the individual.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida