Performance Appraisals

In engineering terms resolving preformance from background noise is the task Noise includes spurious= internal politics, nasty collegues and inept superiors. To imporve signal to noise increase the averaging period but beware the bathtub deterioration of performance both with age and boredome. Engineers are much further foreward in evaluating reality than accountants , general managers or HR where two faces make decisions Picean

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
dougfgd

That one wasn't self employed, and I quit no long after that. They ended up spending over $100,000 to replace equipment I routinely repaired, and no one else in the country wanted to touch.

I did put in a lot of long hours when starting a business. Sometimes I worked for a couple days straight and did a job that was scheduled to take weeks to complete, sleep a couple days and do the same thing on another big job. That may be why my health is shot, and I'm 100% disabled these days.

Later on when the business was running smooth, if I woke up during the night I would go to the shop and work four or five hours with no one around, and no phone calls to bug me.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In message , dated Sat, 2 Sep 2006, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" writes

A boredome is indeed an elderly person, trichologically challenged, with an agenda to share with anyone who can't escape.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

The hours do not matter. All that matters is what did you actually worked out for yourself. As far as the problem goes, if you can't work it with your head, don't try to work it with your arse.

Who should be happier, you or your boss?

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

In message , dated Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Vladimir Vassilevsky writes

Most of the time, you. At raise time, the boss. (;-)

Notice how well I can speak Merkan ('raise')!

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

I got stuck working the overtime because the idiot ordered the wrong piece of equipment for a CATV headend. he insisted that Jerrold, (General Instruments) didn't know what they were talking about, and that our 10,000 cable converters were already tuned to the channel he ordered. They weren't, and the jackass refused to change the order, so I had to modify 10,000 pieces of equipment instead.

Ernie wasn't very happy by the time it was over, then was forced to quit or be fired a few months later at a time when my word could have let him keep his job. On top of that, I got ten times what he did for my Christmas bonus that year. I made almost twice what he got that year, then he was looking for another job with the company telling his prospective new employers that they couldn't comment till the lawsuit was settled. :)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

His last name was Bliss, and well, you know what they say! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If I was a manager type bloke (like I dress up as a girly in my spare time) in charge of people (of various genders who can dress up how they like) I don't think I'd be doing performance appraisals.....

Make of that what you will.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Hello Frank,

Yes, the guys in our company thought so as well. However, when someone couldn't help but chuckle he went ballistic and screamed into his face. Basic training is often no fun.

The other things he told us probably dates back to the 18th century: "As civilians you came, as men you will leave" and "Anything that doesn't immediately lead to your death will make you tougher".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

And your DI wants you to believe that they know every trick in the book. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

_Nobody_ expects the Spanish Inquisition....

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

I recall one of our engineers turned up in a thick roll-neck jersey his wife had knitted for him, with the Fourier transform equation knitted in. That's commitment ;-)

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

One of our guys turned up in a suit on the first day. Unfortunately, on the first day you get your photo taken for your security card.

We did warn the latest guys to join us not to wear a suit....

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

No, that's just involved.

In bacon and eggs, the chicken was involved but the pig was committed.

Ciao,

Peter K.

Reply to
Peter K.

Hello Michael,

But the older ones do know a lot of tricks that aren't in the book. Like never to wear freshly washed socks when 15 miles of hiking in full gear was required. Gets you blisters in no time. They told us to wear the socks from yesterday plus some thinner ones over them. It worked. No blisters anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

We didn't do a lot of marching. They cut almost two full weeks out of basic training, so we were transported in a tractor trailer across the base rather than march so we didn't drop one class. They also pulled a number of double PT sessions in the hot August & September sun at Ft Knox.

I was thinking more along the lines of they thought that knew every trick a GI would pull to get away with something. They never expected a private to play mind games on them, and when they realized what I was doing, it scared the hell out of them. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Had a similiar situation when I worked on the 91 Express lanes toll road. My boss was a real A-hole, who would do things like, pull out a knife and shave his arms, commenting on how sharp it was, while asking for the status of your assignments. The threat was very thinly veiled...

Then, about 9 months later, I was working for the other toll road company and he came in for an interview. For some reason, he wasn't hired... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Too bad he didn't get hit by a truck when he was leaving. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's when you pull out a mini butane torch and comment on how hot it is.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

One very mean trick is to praise the prick everywhere you go and wait for him to make a jump after the head-hunters get to him. Then the new boss finds out what a POS he is and fires him

Reply to
Homer J Simpson