PC Scrolling Blur

I've noticed that's it's generally difficult for me to read text when I scroll fast vertically. Fast scrolling looks blurry or distorted. Ex: Fast scrolling on web pages, datasheets, e-books.

I've been wondering...Is it my eyes or is it my hardware or software? I'd like to have clear fast scrolling so I can skim and read faster. I think my display is slowing me down.

I've noticed that just moving any window around too fast and I can't read the text. I guess it's distorted by the redraw actions.

Hardware

12mS grey to grey response LCD monitor. X800 video card 3Mhz CPU WinXP oodles of memory

Anything I can do to get clean fast scrolling?

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:14:53 -0800) it happened D from BC wrote in :

Win Xp on a 3 MHz CPU must be very very very very very very very sloooooooooow.

Most scrolling sucks, even on a fast CPU, as the graphics is redrawn, possibly display buffered, and will distort the characters. The old video cards with character ROM could do it without distortion. Just use page-up page-down for the next screen.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Often I blame my harddisk for not being fast enough and at times have considered trying out a virtual drive using 8GB of DDR2 memory for about $120Can.

display buffered,

Ah..just don't scroll..

Reminds me of the joke: Patient: Doctor doctor...It hurts when I move my arm like this.. Doctor: Then don't move your arm like that.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

XP on a 3 Mhz CPU must be an incredibly long and slow bootup!

Faster (gaming) video card? Or slow down your scrolling?

Reply to
PeterD

Correction: 3Ghz CPU D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Sorry.. Bbrain glitch... Should be 3GHz CPU..

I might pop into a computer store and see if many systems act the same and the text blur during scrolling is just as bad as my system..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

XP on a 3 Ghz CPU must be an incredibly long and slow bootup!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Maybe they lied about the 12mS response and you actually have a passive LCD display. That would explain it, although it's rather unlikely.

If it was Vista, I'd suspect that it was Aero (the pointless graphical "bling" that seems to be Vista's main selling point).

Maybe you played a game which used motion blur, and it didn't get turned off afterwards. Or maybe your video driver enables bling by default and you have to explicitly turn it off.

Reply to
Nobody

I'm ok with the boot up time. :)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

This probably means you have a really slow monitor response, probably topping 25ms black to white. The GTG spec was a marketing ploy to make the response times look better to the general public. If you don't want smudge whilst scrolling thru text, find a monitor that gamers use. Those will have a reponse time better than 12ms black to white. Unfortunately, mfgrs rarely list black to white response times any more unless they are fast.

My first PC XT was faster!

Reply to
qrk

ok, I just fixed a 2ms response monitor. Needed new electrolytic caps. Anyways, 12ms is slooooow. Get a new monitor.

Reply to
gabjsmo0

These days, I think electrolytic caps top the chart for components most likely to fail..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

I'm not seeing any distortion here onboard Intel 82945G/GZ video, X.org and linux. (well, I get a slight ripple if I scroll at a rate close to a multiple of the refresh rate)

if you're using an LCD you may need a faster one.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Huhh... another monitor. At least I've been able to skip DVD technology!

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Most likely to fail in consumer crap. I've fixed three LCD panels with bad power supply electrolytics. Always some off-brand capacitor.

Reply to
qrk

In article ,=20 snipped-for-privacy@spam.net says...>=20

?

RoHS is going to make the problem far worse. We've banned aluminum=20 electrolytics (Panasonic, in particular) from all new boards.

Reply to
krw

Have an old CRT monitor around? If not, ask for one on your local freecycle list, or take five bucks to the nearest thrift store. Try that and see how much better it is, to check if it's your display.

I have a couple 21" CRT monitors I got for a lot less than the stores charge for the cheapest flat-panel display thingies. I was going to get one of those, but CRT's are the right price and I've got the physical space and electricity for them.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

My NEC CRT monitor burned out. My Viewsonic CRT monitor burned out. I gave away my IBM CRT monitor.

I'd rather try out faster monitors in a computer store or just not try to read while scrolling.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Neither - thinking there's anything "abnormal" about that effect is just stupid.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise