PC Down : Boot Configuration Data Corrupt or Missing

I understand it well enough

Yes. Your point?

So you're criticising something you don't even understand. 'The lot' means the entire hard drive.

I've done it many times

Try a linux cd, you may learn a thing or 2.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You need to read my posts. There were three lines, one would enable the USB boot and was enabled, the other two enabled network booting and were enabled. There was *no way to set a sequence or preference* and disk boot was not even in the list.

One word... Lenovo

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Den fredag den 1. december 2017 kl. 20.04.36 UTC+1 skrev rickman:

what model number?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The difficulty with that is unless you are transplanting the system onto nearly identical hardware a bunch of drivers will be the wrong ones. How bad this is can vary depending on the various manufacturers. Graphics card drivers can be incredibly tetchy especially if by rival makers.

I expect you would be dead in the water trying to put a Toshiba or Sony portable image onto anything but an identical model and same brand (and even that might be a gamble). I have known identical desktop machines from the same batch have different upgraded bits installed due to "availability". No problem for a home user but hell for a site expecting identical machines with an install image prepared for that exact config.

You can if you have a bunch of fairly similar machines on hand. If you are out of luck the copy protect mechanism triggers and/or some default settings are wrong if you move from spinning rust to SSD.

Any decent Windows backup program can do the job. Unfortunately, there are plenty of dodgy Windows backup programs that can't.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I specifically suggested doing this to restore a machine, not to transfer one system to different hardware.

FWLIW I did try doing the latter in the win98 days, it often fixed itself and worked ok, often not.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I am sorry if we're talking past each other. I think you are describing the BIOS config, and I am talking about the boot menu that appears after you hit F12 (without going into BIOS). On some systems I am familiar with, the boot menu would show available boot methods: HD, floppy, USB, PXE/network, serial, carrier pidgeon---but USB would only show if there was a bootable USB device plugged in. IIRC, the BIOS let you reorder and/ or disable the particular methods, but F12 menu listened to arrows so order could be overridden. Again, Lenovo could change all that, because Lenovo.

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

Indeed, because Lenovo... :) Thanks for your replies.