passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband

Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?

nukey

Reply to
nukeymusic

How close to 0dB? What sort of Q (bw/f0)? What's the load?

Reply to
cassiope

Key words: passive rc-bandpass filter... an oxymoron, statement and poster :-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Postings via gmail, yahoo, hotmail, aioe, uar or googlegroups, and trolls/feeders, are now automatically kill-filed using Agent v6.0

To be white-listed, send request via the E-mail icon on my website

It depends on how loose your definition is of "bandpass filter".

|| ___ Vin o-----||---o--|___|---o-----o Vout || | | | | .-. --- | | --- | | | '-' | | | | | === === GND GND (created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05

There's a passive RC bandpass filter for you. It's not a _resonant_ bandpass filter, by any means, but it has a magnitude response that's zero at f = 0, rises to some maximum, then falls to zero as the frequency approaches infinity.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Ask your prof? Review your class notes?

There's some passive RC filter with not too many components that actually has a bit of voltage gain. It's usefulness is pretty much limited to winning bets in University bars, but it's out there. I can't even remember if it's bandpass, but if it isn't it may have a bandpass cousin.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Can I buy a vowel? Er, make that an inductor....

Reply to
miso

exactly 0dB, unloaded, Q to be determined from the other specifications

Reply to
nukeymusic

Reply to
nukeymusic

no inductors allowed here

Reply to
nukeymusic

Q is almost meaningless in this case -- any passive RC bandpass filter is going to have a damping ratio greater than 1, and the various definitions of Q only converge for damping ratios much less than one.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Tim Wescott wrote in news:SPednY_R0pRPY8vRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

LTSpice fans, here are 4 RC's with a peak "gain" of 1.57dB at 113Hz:

Version 4 SHEET 1 884 680 WIRE 96 224 -48 224 WIRE 208 224 176 224 WIRE 320 224 208 224 WIRE 208 240 208 224 WIRE -48 320 -48 224 WIRE 96 320 -48 320 WIRE 208 320 208 304 WIRE 208 320 176 320 WIRE -48 336 -48 320 WIRE 208 336 208 320 WIRE -48 432 -48 416 WIRE 208 432 208 400 FLAG -48 432 0 FLAG 208 432 0 FLAG 320 224 Output SYMBOL res 192 208 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 10k SYMBOL res 192 304 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R2 SYMATTR Value 1k SYMBOL cap 192 240 R0 SYMATTR InstName C1 SYMATTR Value 0.1µ SYMBOL cap 192 336 R0 SYMATTR InstName C2 SYMATTR Value 1µ SYMBOL voltage -48 320 R0 WINDOW 123 24 132 Left 0 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0 SYMATTR Value2 AC 1 SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMATTR Value SINE(0 1 261) TEXT -24 480 Left 0 !.ac oct 10 10 1k TEXT 256 336 Left 0 ;Voltage Gain > 1\nFrom Epstein, "Synthesis of Passive Networks\nWith Gains Greater than Unity," Proc. IRE,\nJuly 1951

Mark Freeman

Reply to
Mark Freeman

Mark Freeman wrote in news:hcKdnUV7nO1sOsrRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@cablespeedmi.com:

Excuse me, I meant 1.157dB.

Mark Freeman

Reply to
Mark Freeman

can you prove this or refer to a proof of this statement?

thanks in advance

nukey

Reply to
nukeymusic

snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

That's the low pass version of the delayed-recovery filter patented by G.A. Philbrick, I wouldn't call this a bandpass filter Do you think this can be transformed into a bandpass-filter? (you will probably end with more than 4 components?)

thanks for sharing your time

nukey

Reply to
nukeymusic

Ok, so I have used a more generalized definition of Q (bw/f0). Fortunately, definitions rarely have convergence problems. Applying them in specific instances is another matter ;)

The simpleminded 4-component RC filter (the obvious serial-parallel arrangement) won't get to exactly 0dB... would only approach it for truly wide bandwidths, even with no load.

Reply to
cassiope

Yes, I cited that circuit to contradict Jim's statement that "you can't make a passive RC bandpass circuit", not to answer the OP's question.

As I told the OP, I do dimly remember a passive RC circuit that had voltage (but certainly not power!) gain at some frequency. But I don't think it was a bandpass, and I don't know if one could build a bandpass version of it. If you could design a bandpass, passive, RC circuit with gain, then it would be a snap to design one with a 0dB peak. Realizing exactly a 0dB peak with component tolerances and all would be more of a trick, I'm sure.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

With horrible skirts. "Band-pass" usually implies skirt-rate relative to bandwidth.

...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Yes. It's more of a "scholar's bandpass" than anything you might want to use in real life. It's not a bad mental tool to use when cooking up an active filter, because an active bandpass can be made by "sharpening up" a passive one, ditto with an active lowpass and (with due respect for stability) an active highpass.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

ions

er

.

Dear Tim, You probably did not see my question in the other message, therefore I'd like to ask it here once more: Can you prove the following statement or point to a proof for it:

any passive RC bandpass filter is going to have a damping ratio greater than 1,

regards, nukey

Reply to
nukeymusic

No, I can't. I'm not sure if that was ever even proved to me -- it's just one of those "obvious truths" that get presented early in one's educational career, and is never questioned thereafter.

I'm certain that it _is_ true -- if it weren't I'd have seen a circuit that took advantage of a resonant RC network. Further, I'm certain that some clever network theorist has proved it. I just don't know where to look for such a proof.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott