Part identification

Hi

I do really hope that at least one of the experts here is able to identify this part:

My Far-East component tester delivers just one measurement result:

1194 ohms/408 mH between the two outer wires on the right side of the component.

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

I'll take a guess that it's a relay: RC: Relay Contact

1A: 1 form A 12: 12V

--Marc

Reply to
Marc Guardiani

reed relay

Reply to
Piotr Piatek

Maybe a reed relay.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I thought the same. But I hesitated to post due to the high inductance quoted.

Reply to
John S

Inductance measurements are often wrong. But then, 1200 ohms is a lot of turns.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Indeed. I did not try to dig into some analysis, but it seemed to me that it is not easy to create a half-henry solenoid with only a reed in the center. I must be wrong.

In any case it appears that a couple of more tests are needed to verify. My suggestion would be to apply a variable lab power supply and increase the voltage between the outside leads with an ohmmeter on the other two wires.

Might also place a strong magnet near the device and check continuity.

Reply to
John S

I am sure that this is a reed relay. We just moved so I can't find my

1960s industrial catalogs for the specs though Marc's suggestions for the ratings is probable. Dimensions would help.

Swinging a magnet near it will show if the contacts close (the middle wires of the three and the single wire other end), and slowly dial it up from around 4VDC to see where it trips.

Checking a few of my old reed relays (we fix old arcade games), 5V relays are roughly 300 to 500R, 24V relays are around 2K, and 12V around

1K. Some of the smallish ones (about 1 inch long) are rated at 1A too.

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

Marc Guardiani schrieb:

[...]

Hi Marc

Bingo! It's obviously a reed relay. This resulted in a hefty slap onto my forehead - I should have had that idea myself .

[...]

To my surprise, the contact closes at about 2.2 V and without audible click; instead, there is a click with opening.

As to the relay's dimensions: length = 27 mm/1.08 " diameter = 11 mm/0.43 "

Many thanks to you and all the other supporters!

Best regards

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

If it is 12V coil that's and 120mW coil dissipation. Couple of dozen 12V/1Kohm reeds listed on Mouser.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

My best guess: Looks seems to indicate a HV flyback, added to measurement to indicate built-in rectifying diode to output (left side).

Reply to
Robert Baer

THAT is even more plausible and very likely.

Reply to
Robert Baer

1.2K is a lot of really fine wire.
Jasen Betts