paralleling relay coils

Depends on how fast. It's a buck topology, so there's not that much high frequency content, and all it would need is to be above audio. I was wanting to keep the RC to protect the +18 supply from all the switching schmutz.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Pigeons... Flyback... Coop... Wings
Reply to
John Fields

Translation, anyone?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Given one driver, five parallel coils, one diode, and an optional resistor, I can't see how you'd get any difference in EMI. What is "phase adding"?

A clamped relay coil, actuated now and then, won't make significant EMI.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Operating Vin is only 15V, Device Max is 20v. Vdrop is 1.4v at 800ma

I wouldn't use it at 18v.

Martin Riddle

Abs max is 20, and 18 is less than 20. But the part I posted is obviously the ADJ version. With 18 in and 12 out, the regulator only sees 6 volts.

It will lose just about a volt at 300 mA. One should check the relay data sheet to make sure that's OK.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

ivers.pdf

the

sheet

Circuit #2 produces neg voltage across coil on turn-off, bad choice. Circui t #5 also potential transient over-voltage at turn-on due to diode capacita nce. Circuit #3 is really strange, hard to say but likely PNP is saturated so coil -Vdiode at turn off is applied to output of 1117. Y

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I drew what it does. When the mosfet is on, there's +1.25 volts across the relay coil.

That's insane.

Ditto insane. It's a simple voltage regulator followed by a switch. When the switch disconnects the coil from the regulator, they are disconnected.

Threads like this are fun. It's amazing how many people, even people who work in electronics, don't understand simple circuits.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Pretty close. And very good design advice. In reality it will be about

10% lower, and no better than that over full rated temperature range.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

That's not how that works and you know it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Yeah, my impression is that they set the original design specs based on unregulated power from the mains plus temperature. Those hairy-eared relay designers didn't really add vast unnecessary margin.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

If you disagree, post an serious explanation or a Spice file.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'd like to see it, too!

John S

Reply to
John S

--
Oh, my, little Johnny didn't get it?

No big surprise...
Reply to
John Fields

--
If you can use solid-state relays to accomplish your goal, the
requirement for the flyback diode will go away, as will the

What can you tell us about your loads and how they need to be driven?
Reply to
John Fields

I know, and it's real easy to blow a coil open with over-voltage, +15% usually does it, sometimes less.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

loads. Is it necessary to have fly-back diode for each relay coil or just one 1N400x diode in parallel is sufficient? Each coil is 300 ohms.

Just a general comment on the topic of relay coil transient suppression: W hile connecting a diode across the coil is a common practice, the technique has its drawbacks. Robert Baer alluded to this in his earlier post. The diode increases the release time of the relay. Even if you are not concern ed with switching time per se, a slow release can cause excessive contact a rcing and even welding. My favorite technique is to connect a diode in ser ies with a Zener and place the combination across the coil. This allows th e voltage across the coil to rise, thus minimizing the increase in release time, while keeping the voltage across the driver transistor within safe li mits. This topic is discussed at length in the ?Engineers; Relay Handboo k? published by the National Association of Relay Manufacturers. In my co py (Fifth Edition) it?s covered in paragraph 15.3.9 under the topic ?Su ppressing Relay-Coil Transients.?

Reply to
Jon Lark

In that case, here's another idea:-

\ +12~18V _ _ o o | )| 1N4003 - )| ^_)| | | | 100K ||-+ ___ ||| | | .-. | | | | | | 2.5R | '-' | | +----- + | === GND

It's even possible this is short-circuit resistant if you treat the MOSFET well thermally.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Looks to be easy way. I think it should be NPN.

Reply to
bhav.jnk

Right, thanks. The P/N is correct, symbol is wrong.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany