Parallel port question?

I just wonder why a measure 3.36V (instead of the 5V - TTL) on the data pins of my parallel port (I put my voltmeter directly between the data pin #0, set to logical 1, and the ground)?

I'm sure I forgot something but I appreciate if someone can help me. Thanks! Fred

Reply to
Fred

3.36 volts is a legal, and fairly ordinary, TTL high level. True TTL drivers never did pull all the way up to +5.

John

Perhaps so, but 3.36 is still a legal TTL high. Classic TTL parts were usually specified for a min Voh in the 2.5-2.7 sort of range, and typs around 3.4.

Slide rule? How dated! I use an HP-35.

John

My laptop gives almost exactly 3.3 V. I would bet that it's 5 volt tolerant

3.3 volt CMOS.

Jonathan

Jonathan Westhues

John

Hello John,

This must be a pretty old system if it has TTL chips in there instead of CMOS. Probably right after the abacus and the slide rule calculator (which I am still using...).

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello John,

Ok, I also use an HP-11C. But when I have to calculate RC, resonant circuits, filters or stuff like that I sometimes crack out the old slide rule calculator. This speeds up the calcs when I want to stay within a range of already released part values or within a standard series. It does raise eye brows at times. At one client they reminded me that they do have Edison electric light.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

voltage

Yes, but 3.3 V CMOS will produce legal TTL levels.

Jonathan

Jonathan Westhues

It is probably the design of your motherboard. Probably a 3.3v setup.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Maybe you have a 'retro' chipset that emulates TTL levels ? There isn't a 'toob' in there as well is there ? ;-)

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......................

AAARrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh < splutter>???(( £378nbBUyghioqwjnmnqwf['vp

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

As John has implied, the spec actually stated that it was to be TTL voltage levels on those pins.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Yes indeed. I think we've all satisfactorily surrounded the answer from all directions and can go home happy. :-)

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor