Parallel Port Interface between PIC and PC

It sounds as though the data transfer only needs to be mono-directional, not bi-directional. This alters the work involved in any of the interfaces, hence my comment. There is also the question of the sort of 'rate' required?. There were some posts, quite a while ago, on one of the 'embedded control' groups, about getting the FTDI chips working with qnx, and they did seem to manage it in the end. A Google search, might still find this thread. It still would be the easiest solution.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Hey, you're jumping the gun a little bit, there! I ain't fossilized yet! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Oh, OK - you already know about FTDI, for example

But wouldn't you use that on the PIC end, as the laptop already has USB? And I can't imagine QNX not having USB drivers, maybe even already built in?

I plug my little Fuji camera into my USB and it just shows up like a drive. I have to mount it and unmount it, of course. This is Slackware, but isn't QNX just another *nix implementation?

And I've seen some pretty amazing things done over USB. It would definitely take some study, I'd think.

I wonder if, if you took ownership of, say, /dev/par , it would let you write directly to the hardware?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise