need a test print

Hi, Im looking at the canon Pixma iP4300 printer but think il take advantage of getting a test print from it first, I want to try and see if it can print a codewheel 50mm diameter with 2000 lines, ive tried a few free cad packages and created simple drawing with 2000 'spokes' but cant seem to find a way of getting it to a jpg file without such loss of resolution the spokes are merged into 1 circle,

anyone know of a good proggy to create a jpeg file like this ? or even know where a jpg file like this is or as good a test print ?

Ive scanned an existing codewheel but its not very good even though I have

1200dpi scanjet 5300c, the actual lines are too fine to see with a naked eye, you can see them on the scan but not well enough defined for printing.

I want to make a second code wheel with 1 less lines than the other.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

"colin" schreef in bericht news:A0s1h.31679$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...

Colin,

Don't use JPG. That's using a lossy compression loosing details whenever it's saved. Suppose GIF to do better as it is lossless.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

whats a codewheel? Something from the Enigma machine?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

have

printing.

Ha sounds like it could be lol, but no its just part of a rotary encoder

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

2000

have

Good point but the test print service only accepts a jpg. I wouldnt use it for the final thing.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Depending on what package you are using, you should be able to turn the jpeg compression off. This is what digital cameras do, when asked to return a 'raw' image, set the compression and smoothing, both to 0%. The answer to your 'wheel' question, depends on how far out along the spokes you are using the wheel, and therefore the line pitch. At the edge of the wheel (50mm), the line pitch is 0.078mm. This is only 323LPI, and most inkjets can comfortably manage this _but only with the right paper in use_. Most photo quality inkjet 'papers', are actually plastic films on a paper base, with the film deliberately designed to _merge_ the ink from multiple dots, usually spreading the ink out to an effective dot size around 150 to 200DPI. Certain non absorbent films will give more accurate fine line reproduction. However the best way will be to create a monochrome tiff image, and go and see a company who has a laser PCB setting machine. The basic dot pitch on these, typically ranges to over

9000DPI, and using the acetate film these are normally operated with, 1000LPI, is relatively simple to achieve.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

You could download a .pdf creator, like pdf995 - AFAIK, pdf's are scalable.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Thanks for the info, and good ideas too, however what im after atm is simply an image so that I can test a printer .. canon offer a test print service where if you send them a jpeg file

Reply to
colin