Oversights

It's called proving a negative.

Reply to
Greegor

re

Baghdad battery, Iraq As somebody else posted, the carvings that resemble light bulbs were found in Egypt.

Reply to
Greegor

Absolutely.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Words to live by!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not as much as you, however:

"Quantum stream cipher beyond the Shannon limit of symmetric key cipher and the possibility of experimental demonstration"

That's one thing QM rules out unless it is shown to be incomplete or non linear (which it may be)

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

"There are some things that mankind was not meant to know."

(or, at least, is very much better off for not having tried to do the research needed to figure it out.)

Dave Platt

I always loved the, "But you can't do that!" response to some of the work I've done over the years. ;-)

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The problem with telepathy is that the thoughts feel exactly like your own, i.e., you can't tell the difference. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

And one of the arguments against that is no electroplated artifacts from that era survive. I would suggest they might, but they appear to be unplated copper or bronze. When gold is plated directly on copper or bronze without a nickel barrier layer, the gold slowly diffuses into the base metal. If a seemingly copper or bronze artifact was found with a significant gold impurity, I'd consider that evidence that it had been gold plated in antiquity. I'm not sure archeologists would know what a barrier layer is.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

The way I heard it, it was Atlantean technology, brought by the Atlanteans who survived the overamping of the Great Crystal. See, the Lemurians had come to the Atlanteans for help with the dinosaur problem; when the Atlanteans overamped the Great Crystal, that was what blew the Yucatan crater. It got rid of the dinosaurs, all right, but it set civilization back millions of years - now the Lemurians are lemurs, but, as I said, the few Atlanteans who escaped brought high-tech to ancient Egypt (and, apparently, Babylon.)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

More likely silver plating I would guess

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

There is a widely-accepted hypothesis that says if Atlantis did exist, it was the Minoan culture on Crete.

...or, more likely, a supervolcano event caused a 20-foot tsunami.

Now, that part I hadn't heard.

Priceless.

Reply to
JeffM

Dirk Bruere at Ne>I think you need [to] precede steam tech with gunpowder and cannons

I'm pretty sure my post covered that. ...and Marco Polo brought the recipe for gunpowder to Europe ~1215.

Reply to
JeffM

And here I thought they were all in Atlantic City.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If the Chinese had not been so smart and bureaucratic we would all be speaking Mandarin by now.

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

G > Quantum physics can be used to back up the G > most insane, illogical BS imagineable. G >

G > To use quantum physics as an out in a logical G > discussion should be seen as a forfeit, and G > you forfeit any credibility you might have had. G >

G > That being said, the few nagging quantum G > breakthroughs that might possibly enable G > instantaneous connection and communication G > at great distances would upset most logical G > thought and probably be treated as a black G > box function by old school engineers.

RG > The problem with telepathy is that RG > the thoughts feel exactly like your RG > own, i.e., you can't tell the difference. ;-)

I don't believe in telepathy, though I can read some of my SO's "tells" and can sometimes guess what she's thinking.

I'm also not a physics hack, but heard about:

Entanglement: The Greatest Mystery in Physics, by Amir D. Aczel

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

- Arthur C. Clarke

Reply to
Greegor

Perhaps not. The Chinese all write Mandarin, but they speak a variety of dialects which aren't mutually intelligible.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I like the corollary: Any technology that is distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm not so crazy about the Marketer's Version: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."

Dave Platt

The philosopher's version: "Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise