Outdoor 485/232 Keypad

Hi, I am tyring to find a Keypad (0-19, Enter) that I can use outdoors and that I can connect to a PC hopefully via RS485. This specific project I am looking at will required 17 keypads to be connected to a PC so the codes the user enters in the keypad are verified against a Database and then if valid I would need to turn on a Relay in the keypad for a certain amount of time to turn on a light by the keypad.

I've looked around the net and I've seen many keypads, some with relays in them but it seems that most keypads you actually need to program the valid codes in the keypad itself, something that will not work for me because once the code gets entered into the keypad it will not work again until it gets activated back in the PC.

This application is very similar to access control with the exception that I need to be able to set the relay to be turned on for like 5 minutes and I need to be able to verify the the code entered in the keypad before turning on the relay.

Any ideas/Suggestions? I needed to keep the keypad for under $350 if at all possible.

Thanks Miguel

Reply to
TechGladiator

"TechGladiator" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

0-9 or 0-19? There are plenty of 0-9 keypads. If they are capable of sending the keypresses + unitnumber over RS485 you're almost done. All you need to add is a (small) generic RS485 to digital IO module, and mount it behind the keypad. Connect your relay and lamp to this. The PC will send the commands to this I/O module and turn on the relay.

Maybe it also exists in one single module, but there is so much of this stuff that it may take a lot of time to find.

[snip]
--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

Reply to
Dennis Mchenney

I meant to say (0-9) keypad... see, my problem has been that I cant find any keypad that is 485 with any documentation.. There seems to be a few companies that have 485 keypads that are meant for garage/door openers but looks like the codes are in the memory of the keypad and not really getting transferred over 485...... I wouldnt mind just getting a keypad that sends 485 without a relay module in it.. it's easy to find an addon board to do the relay i/o part.....

Thanks Miguel

Reply to
TechGladiator

"TechGladiator" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Perhaps they have too many options in choice of software that they don't bother to put the details online. The most common use is probably just one single door and one single keypad, with no real need for a RS485 bus at all, only an output contact for the unlocking magnet. In such cases, you want to program the acces code(s) into the unit itself.

I would be surprised if they didn't have a software version that simply spits out the entered number as a simple 'nnnnnnn#xx' where xx is the unit number, and has a mode which allows you to program the unit number. You better ask them, explaining what you want. It's not something exotic what you are asking for.

I saw some nice keypads at