OT: Windows 7 seems to have recently killed my ethernet links

The whole sequence was that you'd start your computer, and rather than staring up it would go into a "downloading Windows up-dates" routine, then turn itself off and restart.

That isn't what my wife's employers did. Her computer got Microsoft up-dates just as mine did.

This must be an exception.

They do, but only when my wife asks them to.

I spout stuff that you think you understand, but don't.

That's your theory. Nothing you've said inclines me to take your opinion seriously.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Read the bit in the Wikipedia article about "interference".

If you knew even a tiny bit more, you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself by making that claim.

The problem is your ignornace, not mine.

I know it - they kept on telling me to upgrade to Windows 10 for ages.

I've chosen not to.

The machine (and the laptop) has Norton 360 running for protection against virus attacks - I've been putting their protection software on my machines for about twenty years now, and it does seem to work.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No. A company WITH an IT department would NOT have a Windows 7 box on its network. So THAT is the exception, twerp.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

But you obviously have NOT been keeping up on Windows 7 vulnerabilities. Or you would not have spouted that stupid shit. Ask Norton if they recommend a person even running a Windows 7 machine on an Internet conneted network. they will tell you not to use it for any transactions.

If your system is able to be compromised, a virus scan AFTER the fact is not going to do a lot for you. All of your info was already hacked and they did not even have to write ANY file for you precious scanner to find. Ooops!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

My wife's computer did get up-dated to Windows 10 some time ago (as I seem to recall mentioning). In fact it got replaced by a newer model at the same time. The twerp here is you.

--
Bill Sloman., sydney
Reply to

Not a warning I've had from Norton. I do pay attention to those warning that I do get.

Norton scans incoming messages for viruses before they get anywhere where they might get run. You clearly don't know how their protection system works.

If I were silly enough to click on a suspect web-site after I'd been warned that it was suspect, I could get into trouble, but I haven't done that yet, and I've been linked to the internet for some twenty years now.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

OK so now you are saying it IS two different OSes.

AGAIN, more PROOF that it is NOT an MS issue.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Your machine is likely old enough to have messed up Intel microcode in it, and that coupled with W7 IS a vulnerability they would NOT be 'warning you' about.

The W7 vulnerablility is not viral. It is direct IP hack IN. Suddenly WHAM, you box locks for ransom.

Again, I told you it is not a viral vulnerability. More a base kernel level hole that cannot be fixed on *that* old OS.

Again, your IP can get snooped externally and a W7 machine can be hacked directly. No user clicky clicky required.

Easy peasy SloManFoo Google 'windows 7 direct hack vulnerability' And an entire page pops full of hits and MS warned on Jan of 2020.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

turn off the printers wifi and only use the cabled connection then it will have a static address, not that that will help much: the windows HP drivers are failrly borked if you hsve two printers on diffferent LANs

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Not exactly. If Microsoft decided to "refine" their management of Ethernet links, they'd probably use the same algorithm for all their operating systems.

--
Bil Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Microsoft-inspired scare stories designed to get people to move to Windows 10.

As happens rather too frequently with you, you don't seem to know enough about what you are talking about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

when the ISP provider changes out the modem.

o you think they're unrelated?

t (for whatever reason) likes to change its fixed IP address from time to t ime. It often requires wireless-only end users to remove and reinstall the printer from the network. Very frustrating.

t doesn't suffer the same problems from those who have a wired-LAN connecti on to our network.

It's not the printer that is a problem. I just switched to a USB link.

The real problem is that I used to use an Ethernet over mains wiring local area connection to our router-modem where WiFi link was a bit too weak to g ive good data rates. It worked for years, but stopped working a few monhts ago at roughly the same time that my - very local - Ethernet link from just my computer to my - unshared - printer stopped working.

The transition to fibre-to-the-basement was entirely painless (apart for th e fact that phone company decide that they wanted to change our phone numbe r at the same time - as a consequence of choosing to split themselves up at the time, which didn't last).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You really are Trump level stupid, boy.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And you are AlwaysWrong - which isn't remotely true either.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I was answering a slightly different issue.

yuck.... but if you can reach the internet over that link I guess it's working.

possibly the same time or definately not the same time?

Could it be that your router has been confugured to isolate its LAN ethernet sockets, so that device(s) connected to one cannot reach devices conneted to another?

Substituting in a switch and using only a single router socket would be one way to check for this. crawling through the router setup menus would be another.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Does ipconfig/all show that the PC network adapter has a sensible IP address? Can you ping other things on the network and share files?

Try accessing the printers status user interface from a web browser.

I would be willing to bet that it isn't at the same IP address as it was when you originally installed it. Mine does that sometimes when there is a power outage (or rather did before I locked down its MAC to always get the same IP). Check the router table to see where the printer is.

Manually changing the printer IP address in the driver to match the presently allocated value will probably sort the problem.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Check if the "print spooler" service is running in Windows.

Reply to
skybuck2000