OT: Windows 7 seems to have recently killed my ethernet links

I used to connect my printer to my computer over an Ethernet link, but some months ago that stopped working. I replaced the Ethernet cable with a USB cable plugged into the printer's USB port and didn't think much about it.

But my wife's computer used to be linked up to our broad-band link (now fib re to the building) by an ethernet link over the mains wiring, and that sto pped working a the much the same time. My lap-top (which I don't use very o ften) exploited the same link, and that stopped working too.

A google search threw up enough responses to make it clear that other peopl e have had much the same problem. Microsoft has proposed some solutions tha t ought to work, but I've tried all of them and none of them do.

Has anybody run into the problem, and found a solution that works?

Our resident conspiracy theory nuts will invent a theory about Microsoft co nspiring with the US spooks to force people onto WiFi links which are easie r to snoop than Ethernet connections, but I'm happy to assume that Microsof t has just done something stupid.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Now that the printer is not "a network device", and is directly connected to a 'user PC', it is not longer visible from the net, you need to "share it" as a device on the PC it is connected to. That PC also has to be on and booted into Windows. I am not sure how easy it is to share it from within a Linix session.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The printer was never shared. I just happened to have an Ethernet cable handy when it was delivered. There was never any esoteric problem with the link - it just stopped being accessible over that Ethernet cable.

I never bothered. My wife has her own printer in her study, and if she wants me to print something in colour she e-mails the document to me for me to print it.

I do have Linux on my computer- SuSE - but I haven't used it recently.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

me months ago that stopped working. I replaced the Ethernet cable with a US B cable plugged into the printer's USB port and didn't think much about it.

ibre to the building) by an ethernet link over the mains wiring, and that s topped working a the much the same time. My lap-top (which I don't use very often) exploited the same link, and that stopped working too.

ple have had much the same problem. Microsoft has proposed some solutions t hat ought to work, but I've tried all of them and none of them do.

conspiring with the US spooks to force people onto WiFi links which are eas ier to snoop than Ethernet connections, but I'm happy to assume that Micros oft has just done something stupid.

I've had network LASER printers change their IP address after multiple powe r failures. Belarc Advisor is freeware hat not only inventories the hardwar e and installed software, it maps all of your network connections. If it do esn't find your printer, the Ethernet port on your router is bad, or the po rt on the printer has died. Unplug the USB cable before running Belarc Advi sor, the printer's firmware will only recognize one port at a time. Power d own the printer and restart it before testing, and after removing the USB c able.

If the IP address doesn't match the information for your printer, edit it t o match the current address that your computer has assigned to it, to the n ew address.

Belarc Advisor will display the network name, or the IP address of everythi ng it finds on your network. I have used it for over a decade to have a bas eline on every computer that I repaired or built.

Michael Terrell

Possibly you have a network switch or router, that has filled up a table; power-cycle (reboot) any such devices, they will rebuild their tables. If that doesn't do it, maybe (like happened here) it has a more pedestrian problem (flaky power brick?).

I have a network bridge that needs such power-cycling every few months. On my to-do list: give it a switched power socket with an acessible ON/OFF toggle.

Reply to
whit3rd

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You missed the point. Now it has to be IF you want to hit it from other 'terminal locations' on your network.

OK THAT made it a network printer, as in connected to a network and access managed ON the printer itself and accessible by all other elements on the network.

You simply needed to look at your router's management setup and 'find it' again. OR replace the cable, but you think it was not a hardware issue. If it was not hdw, then it is network, and that router is managed via a PC or web page, but usually only for locally connected terminals. If found, it should be able to be seen by any netwrok user. So IF the router DOES have it setup, the error is on the network setup of the device trying to access it, otherwise it IS hardware based.

However, you said you began to connect to it from your PC where you have plugged it in VIA USB port on that PC.

THIS is the point in which it DOES require that you set it up a shared devcie since it is now a device on your machine, and your machine is secure from others accessing it unless you say they can.

So again... YES, you DO need to share it in the USB attached configuration.

Yet you come here pissing and moaning that it is her computer that van now no longer access it, yet do not have the common sense to understand the difference between a network atached printer, which is seen by all on the network, and a NON-network attached, locally attached printer ona a machine which you just acknowledged is not a sharing machine... yet.

Did the light bulb turn on yet?

Again, why the whimper then?

I realize now that I should have left that not really relavent comment out of the assistance.

The fact remains that a locally attached peripheral is rarely ever an also usable device by other elements on a network. Both that machine's OS and the device have to be configured to accept shared access. It makes your machine a print server.

All basic stuff.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I don't. It was never shared.

You got that wrong. The point was never her access to the printer. The poin t was that I had set up a local area connection to our broad-band modem, fr om her computer and my laptop, and both and worked for years, but bot stopp ed working recently, and the computers dropped back to using the less satis factory WiFi link.

The fact that my Ethernet link to my printer stopped working at much the sa me time struck me as indicating a Microsoft generated problem.

Yours clearly hasn't.

Because we are stuck with using the WiFi link to access the internet, and w e can see up to a dozen other WiFi links from adjacent flats (at the right time of day) and they all interfere with our WiFi link.

Sure. And my wife's computer belongs to her employer and is configured by t heir computer manager. When I tried to include my lap top in our homegroup I got told to ask her for the password - which she doesn't know, and didn't even know existed. This seems to matter for the local area network link, b ut not for the WiFi link, which is a bit silly.

Windows network mapping on the WiFi link shows up everything (including the router modem), but it doesn't work on the local area connection.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 3:40:07 AM UTC-4, Bill Sloman wrote: I don't know if it's related, but I've had problems with my NAS server when the ISP provider changes out the modem.

Did the problem start with the "fiber to the building" transition, or do yo u think they're unrelated?

Otherwise, all I can offer is that we have an HP All-in-one printer that (f or whatever reason) likes to change its fixed IP address from time to time. It often requires wireless-only end users to remove and reinstall the pri nter from the network. Very frustrating.

On the LAN side, we can lock that printer down by MAC address, and so it do esn't suffer the same problems from those who have a wired-LAN connection t o our network.

Reply to
mpm

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

In my first response, I only read a bit in and was responding to you regarding the first device you mentioned.

Had I read further, I would have told you it was your router, which I assure you it is.

You then went on to spout some shit about Microsoft, but it has nothing to do with MS either.

MS has nothing to do with a network attached and accessed printer, when it is also coupled with other 'clients' on the network having access problems then it is not a Windows or MS problem.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The local area links worked fine for years. Nothing has changed in the systems involved except the regular Windows up-dates.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Seriously flawed logic. Both of your machines are not both updated to the same version of Windows. And I am talking about update level. not sales versioning.

It isn't MS.

Your broadband provider reset your modem's router or it latched up and YOU need to reset it. Either way, a power cycle should do it.

You provide no logic path to claim that it is MS based problem. If you knew how to access your BB modem's router FROM your PC, as in it's management page, then you would be able to see all clients attached to it and by which manner. IF you get that access, and your device is the only one there then the modem's router needs resetting or reconfiguration or is broken.

But it is not the OS of two different machines and a printer failing all at the same time.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Ummm... No, they do not. That is the point. They have their channels and you have yours. IF your wifi device is not configured to access your bb modem's wifi router correctly, you will have problems, because being the closest one to you, it should be the one you have the easiest time finding on a power sorted list, which they all are. Like right at the top of the list.

IOW, you lie.

And ALL BB Modems use wifi levels that are secure so don't even go there either. And most have 5GHz channels too.

U B FOOL Of SHITE OLD MAN. College folks have no problems with phones, PCs game consoles, IOT devices... All have no problems hooking up multiple devices where there are literally hundreds "in adjacent flats". A dozen ain't shit. And NO they do NOT 'interfere'. You have been out of electronics way too long.

But Billy wants to cry. I was trying to help you, but you are

Reset your router for the hard wired devices and go to wifi for the rest and stop acting like it doesn't work.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

If her system is managed by her emp IT guy then it is NOT getting ANY MS updates until he puts them in.

And yours will not update "offered" updates. If you are on Windows

10 there are "feature" updates which must be chosen and accepted to be put in. So you have no clue what "update state" the two machines are in unless you go to their respective info dialogs and look.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

She was complaining about the way here computer was slow to start on Thursday mornings, just as I was. The IT guys aren't going micromanage to that extent.

I'm not on Windows 10. I have blocked up-dates to Windows 7 on my lap-top from time to time when I was using it away from home in places where getting large chunks of data was expensive, but I turn them back on again when I get home.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Of course it is. But all the WiFi links are transmitting power on much the same frequencies, and this acts as background noise on our particular link. The signal to noise ratio gets degraded, and the error rate goes up.

Actually you don't understand enough about how WiFi works to appreciate what I was saying. That doesn't make me a liar.

What's secure about radiating a signal in all directions.?

The shit being spread here is all yours.

That isn't the problem. The problem is the performance of each link in a dirty RF environment.

It looks more as if you never got far enough into it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Both machines are running Windows 7, and they were both getting the Thursday up-dates, as Microsoft down loaded the week's worth of bug fixes.

Of course.

Why? Nothing else has changed.

We were doing that pretty regularly, and bitched about it to the provider, and got a replacement modem for free, which does seem to need power cycling a lot less often.

Something that worked for years, and stopped working for no apparent reason, when nothing but the operating system had changed (and regular updates are all changes to the operating system).

That logic seems pretty clear to me, even if you can't follow it.

Three different machines - my wife's computer now runs Windows 10. The printer doesn't have an operating system in the same sense that the computers do.

And the machines didn't fail - all that stopped working were the two local area links, and the one to the printer was very local indeed.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 12:39:05 AM UTC-4, Bill Sloman wrote

inter doesn't have an operating system in the same sense that the computers do.

l area links, and the one to the printer was very local indeed.

Your inability to use logic keeps you from seeing real problems.

Routers die. I'm on my fourth one, in 16 years. Stop whining like a thre e year old and buy a new one, or borrow one that is known to work.

If your wife won't spring for a new router, plug your computer directly int o your modem. Yo will have to reboot the computer, to see if you can connec t via an Ethernet cable. Modems typically set their LAN address to http://1

92.168.1.1 or another address in that block. The modem may use a different address. I gave you a link to software to test your LAN. I am through wasti ng my time trying to help you.
Reply to
Michael Terrell

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Just Thursdays? And you conclude that is a Microsoft problem? Bent logic.

It is not about micro-management. If it is a company owned machine THEY control the OS on it AND the update level of the OS as companies like to prove efficacy on an update before releasing it company campus wide.

Companies rarely set up their machines to be "auto-updated". Never, in fact if they have 'an IT guy'.

So, if they 'manage' the Network port, they manage the entire machine.

You spout some stupid shit sometimes.

But again your issue has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You STILL obviously do not know how it works.

Making stupid shit up too, I see.

Bullshit. Once your link is established, and it being at the top of the signal strength list, will NEVER have packet losses due to s-n issues. You are grasping at old straws about a realm you never fully understood.

Actually YOU do not understand wifi AT all, and the 'things you were saying' were bullshit as I stated once already.

You really are stupid. Wifi IS radio, idiot. That does not mean it is not secure as over a million allied forces speak to each other every day, and Putin not only does not get to hear it, he never even bother trying to decrypt it either. Old data is usless. Just like old chemical engineers thinking they are electronics gurus.

No. IF I had a 100 square foot concrete slab to drop onto you, I would. ShitSplat! But spreading you is not on the list of things anyone would want to do. Popping you into a lye pit is far more desireable.

But you are still in lump form and are still here spewing shit into the group.

Except it isn't 'dirty'. You could, in fact, if you knew the access, get good links on the weaker 'links' in the list. You would rather use Trump logic and come up with bullshit reasons why your cheap shit fails. Here's one for ya... Windows 7.

Yeah... They are NO LONGER doing ANY updates, even virus updates, on Windows 7. That was announced. You missed it.

And no company with ANY brains would have an employee machine running Windows 7 on an internet accessible network either.

It is obvious that not only did you not get in it to any depth, you have no clue what *it* even is.

Hundreds of college dorm students have no problem even hitting the same routers! Hundreds of properly formed and broadcast signals all flowing to and from their designated destinations without a hitch.

Again you prove that you are lying or are 100% vacuous about its operation.

You using Windows 7 on an internet connected computer is one proof you are clueless as they have been deemed as high vulnerability to attack for a couple years now.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

More flawed logic. There is no "Thurdays updates", and certainy NONE for Windows 7 for well over a year now.

So your "her machine is slow on Thurdays, so it must be a Microsoft thing" has to be the most stupid shit I have heard yet.