OT: Why are HDMI cables so expensive

If you think medical design is penny pinching, visit a TV station sometime. Some are still using their first Conrac color monitors from the early '70s. Other than the news department, no new equipment is bought unless it can eliminate a job or three. Their money goes to pay the executives and talking heads. Some is spent to dress up their news set, but the other employees get screwed. The policy is, "If we let you buy parts, we get a smaller bonus at the end of the year."

One of the Orlando TV stations bought a new video switcher/router for their studios about 20 years ago, then laid off everyone who was qualified to install it, before it arrived. It was still in a crate, two years later as they struggled with the dozens of failing patch bays and old coaxial cabling. The chief engineer was doing everything by himself and could barely keep them on the air, let alone do a major rewire of multiple studios.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Many years ago, I got a new computer, and it had one of those new DVD drives in it! My wife went out, and got me a copy of Xmen to play on it. I put it in, and get an error - Parental Guidance blocked! it had decided that anything with an X in the title must be X rated! I tried for a week to get that stuff turned off, and never could.

We went out and bought a DVD player... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Try

miso

On a sunny day (Fri, 12 Sep 2008 18:17:14 -0500) it happened krw wrote in :

is between

I am sorry to hear it is that bad. One other thing that greatly affects signal strength (I hope you have a signal strength meter), is the pointing of the dish, it should really be accurate. One degree off can make a lot of difference. I have a motorised dish, and 1/2 degree shows already in signal to noise ration. I really hope it is not the satellite strength.. What sat[s] are you watching?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I just love the sat providers' claims of "HD content".

It was until they got hold of it and re-compressed the piss out of it!

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

Ah yes. $3.19, that's more reasonable. Thanks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

$6 shipped (and you don't have to lift your butt up from your chair).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

(!)

lly

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

I hate buying Chinese stuff, but when the rest of the market gouges you AND is supplied by China anyway, I throw in the towel. Incidentally Leo Laporte is the one that plugged monoprice, i.e. it wasn't my discovery. Thus far, I haven't got any junk from them.

I often buy Belkin Chinese stuff IF it has the lifetime guarantee and the item is reasonably expensive, i.e. more than what it costs me to ship it back to Belkin. That is, they replace their stuff for free, but you need to mail them the broken item. I've done this with cell phone chargers.

Reply to
miso