OT what if...

Sorry just received this and had to share.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That was Excellent!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

LOL!

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Reply to

Wow, a 14-megaton pitch.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net

Phil Hobbs

And people were wondering why Congress was investigating Roger Clemens.

Reply to
krw

And the runner advances!

Martin Riddle

I claim bullshit on this statement:

"When it reaches the batter, the center of the cloud is still moving at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light. It hits the bat first,"

It wouldn't hit the bat first as the bat is held behind the batter's back.

Reply to
JW

I suspect it has been borrowed from a cricket version where it would. Based on a 150g ball I make it a roughly 2MT groundburst equivalent.

Always the big problem for relativistic travel too. You get fried to a crisp by blue shifted microwave background radiation all too easily.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Maybe he's bunting.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yes,because since he hasn't even seen the ball leave the pitcher's fingertips yet, he certainly hasn't swung yet.

But the transition of the wave, etc. through him, the plate, the bat, the catcher, et all happens in a few nanoseconds. Does it matter the order it got listed in?

You're right tho...this cartoon stuff is like bar room pool. You have to call your shots.

It was the only error I saw too, but only after I went back and examined your observation.

Reply to
GooseMan

Was that a punt?

Reply to
MrTallyman

Nope. A bunter won't telegraph his intent before the pitch is thrown. :)

Reply to
JW

In what frame of reference?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If it was a sac bunt he might well show bunt when the pitcher comes to set.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

t an

ack.

Hmm I don't know baseball that well, but can he still be hit by the pitch if it's a sacrifice bunt?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Except in the Aztec League.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I think it's a matter of intention. My understanding is that if the umpire believes that the batter was trying to pull back at the time he was hit by the pitch that he will advance. He wouldn't have time to react, but there might be something unsettling visible just prior to the pitch. ;-)

In this case, however, the ball would be simultaneously inside and outside the strike zone, and likely partially inside when it touches the batter, so my reading of the rules is that it would be officially a "dead ball" and called a strike in any case.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It is about what the cloud hits first. Try to keep up.

Reply to
MrTallyman

Not if everything is "blowing up REAL good" it wouldn't. D'oh!

Reply to
MrTallyman

If the Mayans were right (are right?)(will be right?), and everything ends... if it is simply an entropy thing, we will not see it until it arrives, and any death it brings will occur faster than you can feel it. And we really wont see it at all, not just 'till it arrives'. Maybe some will prophecy about it.

Unless... there is a "soul". The, you might 'feel it'.

Nothingness for eternity. Where pain, agony, flame, cold, all torments... forever... For some.

Or a big rock will simply hit us, and it will be death by giant meteorite. God probably wailed one at us about 2000 years ago.

Reply to
MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet