OT: Weird Internet Problem

I posted this on alt.computer and was advised to post here on the chance that someone has heard of my problem.

I have a problem that apparently nobody else has ever had and when I try to explain it, it just makes people think I'm making it up or stupid. This group is my last resort so here goes:

Sometimes random links/urls won't show up for me when someone posts, and they won't show up even in 3 different browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Netscape). It does this for no reason.

There will just be a big blank space where the link was posted and even when I go to "view source" (ctrl + U) the url is not there. It's like the link/url never existed, but everyone else can see it. This happened to me yesterday and I tried rebooting my computer, shutting down my firewall, closing and restarting my browser. I evem tried to close down my entire security system (Norton), but I couldn't figure out how.

Example: Say it was

that wasn't showing up, and someone posted "I went to Google and looked it up", with the word Google linking to the site, I will see "I went to and looked it up". A blank space between the words "to" and "and". No link and even the word Google wouldn't show up.

And when I do ctrl+U, and go to where it is supposed to be, it will still say "I went to and looked it up".

And the thing is, it only happens randomly. This link I can't see is on a webpage and everything else on the webpage will show up except that.

This time, a webpage link was posted on a message forum and I initially thought the original poster had left the url out, but when I went to reply and quoted her post, the url showed up in the text box but not in my post. It quickly became clear that I am the ONLY person on the forum who can't see this url. I copied the url out of the text box and pasted it into my browser and got a blank page. I also figured out that if I remove http AND www and post the url or post the whole thing as text-only, I can get the url to show up but it just will not show up in link form, and for absolutely no reason at all. Also, if I am able to get the actual url and copy and paste in the browser, I get a completely blank page.

And yesterday on the forum I made actual screen caps of my monitor and posted them on the forum, with BIG RED ARROWS drawn on them pointing out the black spaces and where the link was supposed to be and how there was nothing there and yet the few responses I got were "the link is in so-and-so thread" and people linking directly to the post saying that I need to look there, making it clear that they either did not bother reading my post or didn't understand it. I know where the url is, it just doesn't show up for me no matter what I do! I actually spelled it out for them with pictures and narration and they still don't get it!

I also tried e-mailing the url to myself to see if it will show up. It showed up on my ISP mail (Outlook Express) but not Gmail. And I've tried posting it on other forums and it doesn't show up there either, but everyone else can see it.

This is happening more and more, it is driving me crazy, and I'm getting sick and tired of being treated like an imbecile who doesn't really have a problem so I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

-- Let the dog out to e-mail me.

Reply to
Phyllis Steen

"Phyllis Steen" schreef in bericht news:t8Vzi.102$u21.77@trnddc08...

It's almost sure you have some malware installed. Even Norton is not perfect you know. Try malware finders like "Spybot" and install Windows Defender. You can try to boot in protected mode and scan the HDD using Norton. It may be usefull to use another scanner but you'll have to uninstall Norton first to prevent problems. Best method I used so far is mounting the HDD as a slave in a known clean machine and try out all the scanners I got. Last possibility is totally wiping the disk and re-install everything.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

I think you have been misled, SED is a political newsgroup, for the UK/eu to bash the US, on about everthing they do, and for the US to deride the brits on dental hygene, and not adopting the US version of freedom.

Those who are left(wing) talk electronics

snip

Do a spybot

and ad-aware from Lavasoft scan of your HD, full scan, not the quicky one Get AVG free and do a virus scan as well

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

My immediate thought is there is an incompatibility in the DOCTYPE, for whatever HTML parser your newsgroup reader is using. (Sorry, I am not familiar with Gmail.)

Obviously, there's a parser involved. The problem seems to be related to how to display a link in your browser (underlined, blue, optional text vs. entire URL string, etc..). I reach this conclusion because you say "View Source" shows whitespace where you would expect the URL to be. Forwarding the link may not involve displaying it(?), so the parser issue might not rear its ugly head in that situation.

I don't know the fix, but maybe this will help point you in the right direction...? While it could be Malware, I personally am less inclined to think this. What would be the point? (Not that Malware needs one.)

Good luck. -mpm

Reply to
mpm

border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!cyclone1.gnilink.net!spamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!trnddc08.POSTED!04ed82ad!not-for-mail

Does it happen on any other computer connected to your account? Does it happen on your computer if you connect it to another ISP?

If just your computer, it's probably some kind of firewall or malware. If another computer on your Internet connection has the same problem, it may be an ISP problem.

Ken Fowler

Reply to
Ken Fowler