OT: Way to remove clog from 3/4" AC drain?

Yup!

We place DWV roof vents on 4" sewer pipes for the same reason. 'Gotta displace that water with *something*.

Ouch. That is one of the top 100 things you don't want to hear on the phone.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Up top, there is is this interesting U-bend arrangement, with little caps on the tops of each side of the U, and one cap on the side that functions like a drain when it is opened. You normally have the drain side of the u opened...

I have a bad feeling about what the problem is. When I got DirecTV, the installers ran the twin coax outside, and then brought it in right next to this drainpipe. I an afraid that they might have penetrated the pipe with their drills, and then when I filled in the gaps with expanding foam, it might have also penetrated the pipe! I am really afraid that I am going to have to open up that wall to find out what is going on... :-(

And of course, last night the fan on the condenser started making noise AGAIN! It went out four years ago (after only two years new!) and now it looks like I will have to replace it again. I just had to replace the contactor on it a couple of month ago...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

:

house

tach

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

Yes!! This idea works great. Install a valve at the A/C outlet so you can stop water or air pressure from blowing into / in the direction of / the air conditioner. Then on the non-A/C side of this valve, install a hose bib fitting that you can connect your garden hose to. Close the valve, attach those, turn on the water. Guaranteed to clear anything.

AC condensate is slimy stuff. The reason water works so well is that you can run it for a good long ten minutes or so and really clean out those drains. In your case, since the single drain has two outlets, you may need to plug each outlet one at a time to flush them individually.

I got so tired of our A/C backing up like this. Compressed air will clear the line, but it won't really clean it. Water, under some pressure, does the trick nicely.

Disclaimer: I am not a plumber; I'm an engineer. :)

Reply to
mpm

Be careful, you can shatter plastic pipe doing that. It's not fun, when it's in the walls.

Reply to
krw

With solv welded plastic you can drill a 4mm hole at the bend, rod for a short distance with 2mm iron wire, then fit a bit of rubber, a slightly bent washer and a cable tie to seal the hole. Quick, easy, usually works.

NT

Reply to
NT

Try an electricians tape push it through from the out side several times, or inside if you can , then try the vac again and see if you get air flow.

Reply to
qrus19

two

down

AC

ten

drain.

into

and

that

get

using

end.

blow the

=20

=20

I haven't seen a size that would fit in 3/4 PVC. Do you know where to find them?

??-|

Reply to
josephkk

The only ones I've seen are big, for typical sewer pipes. ...Jim Thompson

[On the Road, in New York]

Shop vac ?

It clears other drains.

Greg