OT: Wall Stud Locating

I think there may be the case of apples and peauts.

1) Push-pins, magnetic or not, can be pushed into drywall. Standard stud locators can be used to do general finding; the pins for marking. Magnetic pins, unless long and pivoted like a compass, would be useless for finding. 2) Pins of any type, unless propelled at high velocity, will not punch thru iron or steel ("metal-based"). The magnetic base would act as a shield and nullify any possibility of finding the studs, even with X-ray backscatter.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Duh! These are plastic creatures that look like a push pin, but have no pin, just a flat bottom with a disk magnet attached. They "find" studs just ducky.

What _are_ you smoking/drinking/injecting? You are certainly out to lunch. ...Jim Thompson

You do not cotton to X-ray backscatter? Very nice to find beams behind walls. Make one and find out..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Easy, but that isotope source is hard to find, even on eBay. Backscatter from wood, sensed through plaster, is the other hard part.

Reply to
whit3rd