Mystery wall socket

Hi group..

There are seven of these sockets within a 1964 built house in Michigan USA:

"

"

Four in the corners of the living room, and three in the master bedroom.

I haven't had much success yet tracing where they lead to using a toner. There doesn't appear to be any central point they all end up. Each one has two solid core wires soldered to it on the back side. Looks like they were installed with the original build of the house - the wires from each seem to route through the walls.

I initially thought they were DIN loudspeaker connectors, but as you can see the two contacts are both flat. The centres of the two contacts are about 7mm apart.

Anyone know what they might be?

TIA

Reply to
2phar

Jones connector.

Male:

Female

HTH

Reply to
Tom Miller

That's a two-pin Jones plug. General purpose connectors, not approved for household AC power, nor intended for RF. So, speaker wiring seems likely.

Reply to
whit3rd

Hams used to use them for 12v DC so maybe someone used them to power radios and other 12V equipment and have it all backed up by a 12V car battery somewhere. As others have said, though, they could be for anything - speakers, etc.

Reply to
Pat

So where is the mostly likely place to install a sound system. It may not have been a regular stereo, as in the living room, could have been mounted in the wall of the kitchen, maybe a utility closet. You might look for a square patch in the kitchen wall where it used to be. Good luck, Mikek

amdx

If a toner isn't working then try using some sort of spark gap device (a old door buzzer for example) jumper one side to one wire and a portable AM radio. Tune for the noise and follow that in the walls..

The second posting on this page is another way.

I have an old Model T Ford ignition coil that I use.

Oh, and I suggest you only connect to one of the two pins.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

honestely,

Sounds like speakers. Why 3 in the BR?, unknown. The location of "corners" really makes it sound like speakers.

Don't neglect the possibility that they could be BR to Living room either. There is a small probability that one of the locations didn;t work out, and the location is a dud.

Reply to
Ron D.

The authors look awful familiar...

This is, in fact, sci.electronics.repair, copied without attribution by another site.

Reply to
bud--

That's just annoying! It costs nothing to attribute a source...

John :-#(#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Except, there are sites that are in it for advertising money, and they steal contents from elsewhere in order to 'create" contents.

I saw it a couple of years ago during our Fringe Festival. One site came up early on searches, but all it did was agregate content from elsewhere, even changing the content so anytime "mysite.com" was mentioned it said instead "westealyoursite.com".

I have no idea if that's the case here, but it is possible.

It's certainly not uncommon to come across sites with "boards" that are actually access to usenet, but they don't necessarily say it's usenet.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

I think I've seen 4 newsgroups that are stolen by various pages. One is alt.home.repair by homeowners something. Also soc.culture.jewish.moderated Another group I can't remember. And this group.

None give attribution iirc.

Reply to
bubba

Not only that, but they refer to *us* as the guests!

Reply to
JW

Perhaps we should have in our signatures - Posted by Usenet - or similar and let the curious figure it out...

John :-#)#

I'll change mine to:

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

First see if there's any AC or DC voltage on those pins. Then see if there's any low-ohms resistance (like a loudspeaker or amp transformer connected somewhere.) It might connect to a DIY intercom system.

Could even be telephone. Back before mid-1970s, only the rich had telephone connectors, so people might be tempted to install their own, so they could carry a landline phone all over the house and plug it into their connectors.

As others point out, could be a custom loudspeaker installation so one main amplifier can send music to many rooms.

Reply to
William Beaty

That's a very good idea, but not to let the curious have to figure it out. We should be explicit so they can't miss it. Maybe I'll have something in a while.

Reply to
micky