OT: Visual memory program

Well, it would be nice to look at memory as if it was a 256 color bitmap, so that i might be able to find the BIOS boot screen pic. From that, then know its address. All from curiosity. Driven by the fact that the BioStar BIOScreen "utility" does not work even on their own BMP files. Now,if you by some magic (court order or act of Congress) get a working version that would be ideal. My MB is the BioStar H61MGV3. Intel and BioStar do not respond to e-mail queries.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Interesting, in that a simple-minded BASIC PEEK(*) does give at least the basic part of the BIOS contents as if one had a plain 286 DOS box. This is with the use of QBX in a Win2K CMD window.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks. L. Spiro's Memory Hacking Software is _very_ interesting; very much like an ASM IDE. Does not have the display characteristics i want.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, BMP does support compression. But of thousands of BMP files, i have yet to see one compressed.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks to you,i now know the name of the ASUS utility and maybe able to find it among the various ASUS MB disks i have kept over the years. The Asus P8H61-M LE motherboard uses the same Intel H61 chipset, so its BIOS screen utility "should" be safe to use on the BioStar MB. The few people that responded to that query recommended and/or implied to NOT try it. Comments?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Will the BIOS flashing interface be compatible? the ASUS software may check for a signture. if the LAN chip is different LAN boot will probably not work. same for any other options that don't match, they may not get correctly initialised.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

I have seen this happen a few times "by accident" after a computer crash. The video display ends up being a randomish map of pixels, many of them flickering or blinking on and off as things happen on the computer. I assumed that there is a hardware register that points to "start of framebuffer" that has been accidentally zeroed, or some such thing.

-

John Devereux

Reply to
John Devereux

It is obviously up to you. I would settle for disabling it entirely which can be done from somewhere in the advanced settings.

I don't spend any time at all looking at my BIOS boot screen (in fact usually the monitor has not powered up before it has vanished). Only if I do a hard reboot with the monitor already on do I ever see it.

Flashing a BIOS with the wrong one is potentially very high risk. As is having a power supply interruption or BSOD during flashing a BIOS. I am no great fan of flashing BIOSes using Windows based tools.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

THAT may well be a major problem. ASUS hints that their installation software checks the MB.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Methinks you are spot on, and I will be forced to abandon changing the BIOS boot screen.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The BioStar BIOScreen "utility" does not work, and BioStar refuses to support their own garbage.

Reply to
Robert Baer