OT: This could be you

countries. This includes Alaska, which I suppose is more religious than Sweden.

I was in some little rural honky-tonk once, where on the wall with all the folksy crap they put on the walls in little rural honky-tonks was a copy of The Serenety Prayer: "God, grant me the serenety to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." At the time, I thought it was a gag, albeit a rather catchy one. Some years later, I found out that it (The Serenity Prayer) is very popular in AA groups, who claim to be spiritual, so maybe one (or both!) of the bars served as the church on Sunday mornings, with half-price bloody marys or some such. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

countries. This includes Alaska, which I suppose is more religious than Sweden.

I once had a lady-lawyer girlfriend in Juneau. One of those relationships where only the airlines win. I did notice a lot of drinking, and my reference point was New Orleans, so it was a *lot* of drinking. It was so wet and cold and dark and gloomy, all people would do is go to somebody else's house and drink and smoke stuff.

Lessons learned: 15 mile limit, and don't date lawyers.

John

=A0But no

The other two too then, maybe. They wanted to flee but were pinned in the wreckage. Fine upstanding citizens all.

There was talk at the service of prosecution and justice and such. Those seem so hollow, so pointless. This was a giant who walked amongst us, among men. He's gone. A few yokels in bracelets won't change that, or them.

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

countries. This includes Alaska, which I suppose is more religious than Sweden.

Four downtown buildings is a small town. It's grown quite a bit over the last 35 years. The govenment gave them the school buildings that were part of Ft. Greely when it was closed. Take a look at Delta Junction, AK. sometime.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

countries. This includes Alaska, which I suppose is more religious than Sweden.

Alcoholism was rampant in Alaska in the mid '70s. They even had beer machines in the mess halls.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

_arctic_ countries. This includes Alaska, which I suppose is more religious than Sweden.

I noticed a lot of pot and such, too. White powder was occasionally spotted on the floor of the Senate, in session, where it seemed to help get bills passed.

Pot makes me paranoid, particulates make me sneeze, and alcohol makes me fat, so I stick to modest doses of chocolate, beer, and rum.

John

countries. This includes Alaska, which I suppose is more religious than Sweden.

The prayer of a willful non-person. It should read more like Nelson Mandala's life:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things that should not be changed, The courage to change the things that are wrong, And the wisdom to know the difference.

Change just cause you can do it is more often wrong and evil.

Reply to
JosephKK

_arctic_ countries. This includes Alaska, which I suppose is more religious than Sweden.

The only thing you actually have any real power, or for that matter, the right to change is yourself.

Everything else is going to be the way it will be, no matter how much you yell and scream and wave your arms in the air.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

That's nothing - on one air base I was at, there was a beer machine in the barracks. ;-)

After I got out, I worked at a company that had a keg in the company lunchroom. %-}

That's only a protective reaction caused by the presence of Big Brother watching you. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

That may be, but give me a few million bucks and I'll sure *feel* a lot more powerful... :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

_arctic_ countries. This includes Alaska, which I suppose is more religious than Sweden.

The chocolate sounds OK. I don't want any of the other stuff. I saw too many people screw up their lives with drugs & alcohol while in the service.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ople

you

ne

Bicycle? UC Davis has so many bikes, they even have bicycle cops...

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I didn't know that bicycles committed enough crime, that they needed a special unit. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell