OT The Swedish model makes sense, much to Biden's consternation

This letter to the editor was just published in the WSJ:

With all due respect, I beg to differ with Dr. Scott Gottlieb on the issue of Sweden?s approach to Covid-19 (?Sweden Shouldn?t Be America?s Pandemic Model,? op-ed, Aug. 31). The deaths per 100,000 are almost identical between the two countries despite Sweden h aving an older population. As of Sept. 2 the U.S. had 571 deaths per 100,00

0 and Sweden 576 per 100,000. Contrary to Dr. Gottlieb?s assertion, Sweden, like the U.S., did not perform well in protecting the elderly, acc ording to its chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell. Contrast then the drop i n the second quarter GDP for the two nations. The U.S. GDP dropped 31.7% in contrast to Sweden?s GDP dropping 8.6%. This difference in loss ra tes cost the U.S. an additional $1.25 trillion in lost GDP in the second qu arter. Further, schools have remained open in Sweden, avoiding the damage b eing done to children and families by the school closures here. Sorry, but given the evidence, I do believe that we can learn from Sweden.

John F. Bastian, M.D.

Reply to
Flyguy

whoa mule! That's the ppm death rate, not deaths per 100K.

Plan? What plan?

All you've got is loose behavioral reaction to authority, be it that of the WHO, local health officials, or some joker on TV, elected or otherwise.

Swedes may just have better reading/comprehension skills, combined with moderate self-discipline - under less restrictive guidelines.

They made the same mistakes as elsewhere, in early days; at present the daily figures on deaths are two orders of magnitude less than in the US, where 2 to 3ppm daily (1000 souls) is considered 'an acceptible burn rate'.

I don't know what Biden's got to do with it.

RL

RL

Reply to
legg

[...]

Bill Sloman

e of Sweden?s approach to Covid-19 (?Sweden Shouldn? ?t Be America?s Pandemic Model,? op-ed, Aug. 31). The dea ths per 100,000 are almost identical between the two countries despite Swed en having an older population. As of Sept. 2 the U.S. had 571 deaths per 10

0,000 and Sweden 576 per 100,000. Contrary to Dr. Gottlieb?s assert ion, Sweden, like the U.S., did not perform well in protecting the elderly, according to its chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell. Contrast then the dr op in the second quarter GDP for the two nations. The U.S. GDP dropped 31.7 % in contrast to Sweden?s GDP dropping 8.6%. This difference in los s rates cost the U.S. an additional $1.25 trillion in lost GDP in the secon d quarter. Further, schools have remained open in Sweden, avoiding the dama ge being done to children and families by the school closures here. Sorry, but given the evidence, I do believe that we can learn from Sweden. If John F. Bastian was a bit better informed he could have learned from Ne w Zealand ( 5 ppm deaths) or South Korea ( 7 ppm deaths). Even Australia (w ith 29 ppm deaths and rising) has done a whole lot better. With low death r ates, all you need are selective lockdowns for limited amounts of time, and that does do less damage to the economy.

The US media doesn't seem to have got that message, perhaps because they ar e fixated on the economy and not all that interested in the number of peop le who end up dead.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

[...]

Hey SL0W MAN,

As usual, you DIDN'T get the message: Sweden accomplished this WITHOUT lock ing down.

Reply to
Flyguy

[...]

Sweden is lower density, fewer families per household , 40% of the population isn't overweight or obese, h as a first-world healthcare system everywhere, and i sn't populated by at lest 50% dickheads.

That is to say the reason Sweden can "do Sweden" is because they 're Sweden.

Sweden is a well-dressed 25-year-old ma le model using lame pick-up-lines at the club like " what's your sign?" and still bringing the girls home.

America is a 55 y/o drunk fat guy in a polyester Ha waiian shirt with BO slurring "whaerrts yer sign, ba aybeee" at women half his age in the club and wonder ing why the same lines the other guy is using aren't w orking. Kinda got to start with the basics

Reply to
bitrex

Right, Sweden is some kind of actual first-world country. They're taking calculated gambles with relatively well-thought-out advanced tactics that countries composed of on-average relatively intelligent nations up to first world standards can take and pull off successfully.

There was probably some pandemic plan that was near ideally suited for America and would have saved a lot more American lives while still keeping the economy in better shape. I'm sure whomever came up with it then looked at it in horror and burned it knowing full well that if it ever got out he wrote it Americans would set him on fire as a traitor for his efforts.

Reply to
bitrex

[...]

cking down.

So did South Korea. In fact, Sweden relied on most of it's citizens having enough sense to lock down without being told to - and the 8.6% drop in GDP reflects that. Essentially the only way of minimising damage to the GDP is eliminating the virus from the community - or as in Taiwan's case, not givi ng it any toe-hold to begin with.

You do get new local outbreaks even after you've eliminated local infection s, but you can get rid of them within local area which has been infected. D oing it fast helps a lot - in Australia, Victoria was slow off the mark in getting on top of it's outbreak, but NSW - where I live - was much quicker in using contact tracing to deal with the cases that sneaked in from Victor ia's outbreak.

The message is a little more complicated than you are equipped to deal wit h.

Bill Sloman, Sydney

Reply to
Bill Sloman