OT: Standard telephone jack?

Good question. But probably at the time 4 & 5 were not used? Also can a 20hz ring propagate the magnetics. If REN is ~5 that works out to 1400ohms that MaBell can drive. I have no idea what a ethernet transformer seconday is. I think likey the magnetics will absorb the ring as heat and the low frequency will be blocked.

Martin Riddle

Possibly it was thought that POTS would only use RJ11 and data plugs wouldn't fit, while PBX phones could use RJ45 but don't use high voltage.

I don't know how good the isolation is supposed to be, but I have seen data equipment momentarily plugged into voice lines - even PBX - that had to be powered off before it would work again, I assume because of latchup.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

So you went from semi-rotund to slightly rotund? :-)

I wanted to start exercising with my mountain bike again a couple days ago because the 2-3 miles of walking per day just ain't enough to burns off the marzipan, rouladens and Fin du Monde brewskys. Found the Shimano shifters don't work anymore because they used cheap grease that gummed up. Great, another project. Oh, and I couldn't find where the ignition key goes ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

So how'd you call an ambulance during a long power outage when the web is gone and cell towers have run dry?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Verizon FIOS has a Hail Mary button that powers up the VOIP for one last call, after it has shutdown and was running on the backup battery for sometime. I guess its good to have a spare battery hanging around.

Our CO has a massive backup power system on its roof.

Martin Riddle

I have Verizon FIOS. Last Saturday morning I found that I had no Internet service, no telephone service, no TV service. I checked the BBU (Battery Backup Unit) and saw that the battery was down to 10V. I put a lab power supply across the battery to supply up to 2A at 13V. I got all the services back.

Turns out that the internal charger in the BBU failed which allowed the battery to die. No Verizon help until Monday at which time they replaced the BBU.

A spare battery would not have helped in this situation. The drain on the battery (without the charger working) was about 1A. Even the two spare 18A-H batteries would not have lasted as long as I needed. The power supply was my savior.

John S

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Suppose you'd better find out what signals that jack carries. As it is about telecom equipment it might be RJ45 but I doubt it. That 8p8c minimodular jack is growing to be the new RS232 or worse. RJxx are defined by an ANSI standard meant for telecom equipment. Suppose telecom companies follow that standard in their own facilities. Outside every one can use that 8p8c for everything he wants - including ethernet - and name it RJ45.

Don Bowey explained a 10 years ago:

"The problem with the RJ connectors is that it is the RJ identity that defines pin identities and functions. When a mini-modular connector is used in a non-telco situation, then it IS NOT an RJ----. If people do not want an RJ14,RJ48C, etc., it is best to call it by what it really is; for example, a 6-pin mini-modular jack or plug."

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

I'm so close to Banner Regional I can walk ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Actually PoE can also be phantom fed on orange and green.

That would be utterly stupid.

Indeed. And you can also buy extension cords from Ebay with an RJ11 and RJ45.

No, the phone is on the middle pair which isn't used by ethernet.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

WhatHeSaid. Just leave the installation as it use & use it.

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

I think it's smart to correct this and have a regular 6-pin phone jack. Not only to prevent newer PCs from getting damaged but also to avoid frustrating mixups.

Ethernet 1000 has pair C there:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

schreef

about

ANSI

that

for

used

want

The worst part it has Don grossly understated the magnitude of the problem by over an order of magnitude even back then. Hint: it has been TIA-232 etc., for over 15 years.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk