OT: Standard telephone jack?

Our new house has RJ45 for telephone jacks.

Is this some new weird standard?

Shouldn't they be RJ11 or RJ14? ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Ethernet 8 pair

Reply to
Greegor

Maybe it's so you can use the jack as a telephone jack or data jack for Ethernet, depending on what you want. Is there a patchbay somewhere at the other end of the jacks?

Reply to
bitrex

Mixed use? Phone (blue pair) is on 4 & 5 Ethernet 10/100 requires 2 pair, 1 & 2, 3 & 6. This is similar to 10/100 POE, where DC in on 4 & 5, and 7 & 8

Or they could only get RJ45 connectors.

Martin Riddle

Is it wired with Cat-5 or 6 cable?

Reply to
tm

Probably! There's white RJ45 for telephone and blue RJ45 for data.

And there is a "Home Base" cabinet.

I'm an old hand at Keystone jacks, so I'll probably just rip 'em out and replace ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Why bother replacing them?? The standard 6 pin plug (RJ-11 or RJ-14 for two lines) fits fine in the 8 pin jack.

ET

Reply to
Eric Tappert

Then Jim accidentally plugs the computer line in there, one of his kids calls, the ringing signal and the LAN transformer in Jim's computer duke it out and ... *PHUT*

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'd fix that. Get a box of Leviton RJ11 inserts at Home Depot (if they fit) and change it. A box of 10 usually comes with a sorta primitive punch tool.

Easy job. The difficult part will be getting back up from down there, ouch, ouch.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That would be a risk for computers equipped with gigabit Ethernet, yes, since all four pairs are used.

Probably wouldn't be an issue for 10BaseT and 100BaseT, which do not use the central pair of pins. [Unless, of course, Jim wires up a

2-line phone system to this circuit, and the yellow/black pair could ring.]

So, yeah, probably safest to change it out.

One nice thing - if it was wired up with Cat-5 or better, the twisting will give the phone circuit some amount of resistance to RFI incursion (CB or AM/FM radio pickup into the phone). With many phones being built cheaply and with little RF filtering, that's no bad thing!

Reply to
David Platt

Considering that data equipment can be damaged by ring voltage why do we use the same jacks at all?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

You might want to switch to IP PoE phones.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

There are adapters etc. too.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Actually they don't "fit fine", there's some interference to the fit. ...Jim Thompson

Small moves, Ellie. At least Jim's moved on from spade lugs!! :)

Reply to
mpm

I wasn't aware of that until this thread, but yes, they fit quite nicely (just plugged an RJ11 jumper into the RJ45 and RJ11 jacks of a Linksys PAP2T.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yep. I have a fold-up stool to minimize the bending. Though, on my weight-loss program... only half a bottle >:-{*}... I'm getting in shape... 6" off the waist so far, and I can get up off the floor without needing to grab something to pull me up.

{*} I've successfully shrunk the tummy... one serving is now almost too much. ...Jim Thompson

I'm already Ooma-tized, the phone lines are simply to distribute thru the house along with the "ring-control system" I spoke of earlier this year. ...Jim Thompson

When did you move in, Jim? Congrats on the new abode.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

October 1... still moving... too much "schtuff" ;-) ...Jim Thompson