OT: Quirky Internet Explorer

Have any of you seen this? My IE-8 has (twice now) changed a desktop icon without my doing anything. Both were shortcuts pointing to URL addresses. After visiting the site(s) in question, somehow the desktop icons have gotten updated to show a newer graphic. The shortcut itself still works fine.

I think this is a BAD idea -- as some users might "lose" the icon if it changes and they no longer recognize it. Who came up with this boneheaded idea anyway??!!

And, I guess I'm concerned that somehow, visiting a URL constitutes permission to change a graphic on my desktop in the first place. I must have a security setting set wrong, but I can't seem to figure out which one. (All help is appreciated, BTW).

That said, it seems to me there is no one magic IE security setting because fixing any one thing here, makes fifteen other things pop-up over there. Fix one, break 15. That sort of thing.

Also, with the IE-8 upgrade (from IE-6, though I don't know if the above problem is related), I can no longer get IE to remember (long term) that I want its window maximized when I run it. (yet another new quirk).

I hate Microsoft. :-p

Oh, and I was "forced" to switch to IE-8 because Microsoft did an "update" (and I use that term very, very loosely) that enabled this "Bing" BS, which you cannot disable in IE-6 (though you can disable in IE-8),

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Jeez, dude. That has been going on for about three years now. Since like IE-6.

Look at your history page. Every site you visit (that has any brains) will have a custom icon associated with their site.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

Ever heard of mouse hover?

It (the icon) will tell you what it points to if you simply hover over it.

Morph your ability to accept things new, and you might get a real grip on things that are a real help in the real world. Tossing everything out because of some perceived future issue with it wants me to think that you are still running Windows 95 original release.

That probably won't even run Java though.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Christ! It is no different than giving you a cookie. In fact, that is likely where it resides. Kill your cookie history to see.

Trust me, getting a custom icon from a visited site is no different than your machine retaining the images and such that are in the page you visited. Less even.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

How did you ever get so far with a computer that you could actually even end up online?

You are looking worse than the Luddite /BAH

Unbelievable! The AOL account is a tell, though. Any idiot that would use them deserves to have things stolen from him.

They should be out of business, in fact. They were criminal level rip-offs and all they got was a *tiny* slap on the wrist for doing it. I would have rendered them defunct.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Make sure that it is FS when you close it. THEN it WILL be the next time. It comes up in the same manner as the last closure of the app. There is no default that it "keeps". It will always follow the state of the window the last time you closed the last instance of it. Always.

It, and Firefox always has. Unless you pay attention to the state when you close, you may never catch that that is how it operates.

NOT a "new quirk" in anything other than you.

The icon thing AND the window shape/state/location thing has been around for several years. If you have a dual display, it will even open up in the last location that it was in.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I hate presumptuous idiots that are not even a slight bit good at it.

My household pets have more common sense.

Jeez dude, commit some things to memory. They call that learning.

I also hate baseless MS haters, which nearly all are.

Makes me almost sorry that I helped you.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

When you 'update' your machine, YOU have the choice to look at what the updates are before you commit to them. Turn off automatic updating, and depress the icon yourself manually. Then examine the list.

Pretty simple, and your current method will always skip things like new vendor issued video drivers, etc. So, there are likely things in your listing that are classed as "optional" that have been waiting to be installed for a long time.

MS didn't "do an update", YOU did. AND you didn't do it very well.

Sorry so frank... not.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

ut

XP SP-3 here. No intention to upgrade, Vista or otherwise. I generally stay behind the curve. I let others work out the bugs first. The only reason it's XP-3 is I didn't want Vista (hate it!), and I needed a new legit copy of XP for the new PC upgrade.

This icon "problem" did not happen (on XP-3 or any other O/S) prior to the upgrade to IE-8. If it did, I didn't notice it -- and I'm sure I would have noticed....?

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

would

=A0I

I'm actually a brilliant engineer. Though I admit, you couldn't tell that from my use of AOL or Google Groups. My old job used to put me on the road a lot, and AOL's dial-up came in handy a lot (i.e., the boonies, no WiFi hotspots, etc..) Had AOL since the early 90's and guess I never got weaned off it properly. :)

I'm not enamored with AOL in any way. In fact, their client software got so buggy, I finally ditched it and just use their

web interface now. I should probably get rid of AOL altogether, now that I'm hardly ever without high-speed access. But, everyone I ever knew has that AOL email... which I guess is the primary reason I put up with it.

Reply to
mpm

when

nd

No, that's not right. I agree it "should" stay full screen if that's the way you last shut it down. I'm trying to tell you that regardless of where you stretch the window, or even maximize or minimize it, it will come up exactly the same (screwed up) way every time. The only work-around I've found (and even it's not 100%) is to leave the first instance open, then open a 2nd IE window, maximize that, then close them both in the same order. That seems to work -- for a while.

But if IE is then launched via some other program (like a link in Google Earth or something), IE comes back up in the same (partial screen) way as before. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, and it definitely started with the IE-8 "upgrade".

Numerous other people are having the exact same problem (i.e. Google search). No solution I've found so far fixes it back to the way I am accustomed to IE working.

Reply to
mpm

he

ew

You're beginning to sound like a blowhard asshole. Sorry, so frank.

I already explained the update was IE-8 only, and the reason for it. For your information, I have auto updates turned off (always have). I see no need to download updates -- the vast majority of which merely break other stuff that was previously working just fine. I use hardware virus protection, and only on very, very rare occasion have any sort of problem with that stuff.

So little, that on balance, it's much easier to fix the occasional problem that might occur due to the lack of a security update, than to deal with all the problems constant, continuous updates cause.

But to extend your line of reasoning to its logical conclusion -- How would you propose to do and update "well"? Are you suggesting that you can no in advance what all that update code does -- not having any access to the original source code?

No! You're no different than anybody else updating hardware with code some unknown team of engineers cobbled together. You're at their mercy. You elect to run that code and you have NO IDEA what it will actually do other than the briefest of descriptions (usually barely a sentence or two). Or, you've had to research what went wrong (usually after the fact?), after it blows up on others.

To suggest that there is a way to do an update "right" is almost laughable, and in any event, completely unsupported by the wealth of experience to the contrary. Mine included.

Reply to
mpm

Dude, trust me -- you have not yet helped me in any way. Surely you are smart enought to know that?

Reply to
mpm

hat is

My browser does not cache pages or images. I have that feature turned off.

Cookies delete automatically after each session, but killing them manually has no effect either. Perhaps that is because the desktop icon has already been replaced. Which raises yet another question, why would the operating system even bother to check for cookies prior to displaying a desktop shortcut icon???

Still, since you're such a self-proclaimed expert on all thing Microsoft, (and just a teeny little bit of an arrogant asshole to boot), why don't you tell us all where the magic security setting is to avoid having a desktop icon change when you visit so-called smart URL's?

I'm waiting....

And (honestly), I would be grateful if you know -- but I suspect you don't actually know.

Reply to
mpm

So if that's an intended behavior, tell me this:

How can I change the shortcut icon on your desktop pointing to your Forte Agent so you'll never recognize it? That would sure save the rest of us in this newsgroup a lot of grief.

God doesn't play dice. However, He does play a mean game of
3 card monte.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

It is not OS specific. It is browser specific, and release 6 did it too. Just look at your history tab. Open up some of the visited sites, and see the links that were actually visited.

Your entire history listing uses them as well. Why wouldn't your desktop links also do so?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Nope. If you have an instance up, it comes up in THAT window, or a new one of that size. IF you simply hit a link and no current instance is open, you allow the site to decide what the initial window's size will be.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Both my Firefox AND my IE Explorer have no problem remembering the last window size they were at when last CLOSED.

I have never experienced the problem you describe, and have always known about how it is actually handled.

I reduce window size often to write on one app, while still being able to examine the browser window contents. When I forget and close that one, without first opening a new one and closing the re-sized one first, the next instance opens up in that resized window size.

Never seen anything different, ever, and I have never see either not re-open in the exact same window state that the very last instance was last closed at. Absolutely without flaw, and back several releases.

Numerous other people? Do you log onto a green newbie dumbshit help forum or something?

How is that so many manage to over-complicate so much with so much ease?

Are you on Placidyls or something?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I think that you must be a real retard or something.

I have never had an update 'break' anything, except for ONE MS Office Excel 2007 update, which was fixed on the next update two days later.

Didn't miss a beat, because it did not affect me or my workbooks.

If your shit is always breaking, maybe the next time that you build your own box, you'll spring for the actual motherboard that has some credence in the real world. That nearly decade old POS you MUST be using is probably the root of all of your problems. There are several MOBO makers that might be somewhat "compliant" now, but back then they prayed for suckers like you so they could build up their company.

There are video card makers that rose up that way, etc., etc., etc. ad infinitum.

Windows typically only 'breaks' on hardware that was borderline non-compliant and obsolete before it got marked down to the price you thought was a bargain.

You prove that one only gets what one pays for.

Then again, you could just be one of those dopes that has about 15 applets running in your notification icon area. If your task manager list has 60 entries, you are running a lot of HORSESHIT. Trim it down, boy.

Explorer DOES remember window placement and setting. Every time, every boot.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Only because you are so goddamned stubborn that even when you are given the facts, you refuse to believe or even test them.

You take retarded ditz to an all new low.

That is aside from the fact that you are wrong about the window sizing thing, and wrong about icons being a security issue.

It doesn't get much more dumb than that. I have seen dumb folks before, but being a retard... an abject retard... by choice has to be one of the most stupid things I have ever witnessed.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever