OT: Psychological condiction of those who hate others having wealth

Despair.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

No, classically 'envy' means my wanting it _instead_ of him, or even wanting nobody to have it if I can't. Envy and pride (invidia and superbia) are inherently competitive, whereas gluttony, greed, and lust (gula, avaritia, and luxuria) aren't.

The other two are wrath (ira) and sloth (acedia). Interestingly, envy is almost the only one that has the same range of meanings in popular parlance as in theology. For instance, sloth isn't ordinary laziness, it actually means giving up, i.e. giving into the temptation to say "Oh, what's the use?". Temperance means self-control, not teetotalism.

Each one is a sin against one or more of the corresponding virtues.

Wrath

Reply to
Phil Hobbs
[snip]

Phil, Switching to a new topic...

As I reduce the current in an LED, is there a critical current at which light emission quits?

Or is it continuous right down into the mud? ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Cranky Old Git With Engineering Mind Faster Than a Speeding Prissy

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes, but just where this happens depends on the part. There are usually nonradiative things (traps etc) that have to be kept full before you get good emission--which is why optocouplers have that nasty toe below ~1% of rated current. It isn't the photodiodes that are responsible. (Don't even talk to me about phototransistors.)

If you want a really dim LED, a low power laser diode run below threshold is one approach--they're small, so the current density is higher.

I should do some measurements on modern display LEDs and find out what their linearity is like.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

I know you're kidding, but normal desire between husband and wife isn't lust. (There can be lust even between spouses, but that's a different matter.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

For a G-job... naturally ;-) I need to detect _polarity_ of an isolated very small current, maybe

Is there, theologically speaking, anything wrong with lust within marriage?

John

That's down in the toe region for some LEDs at least.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

As distinct from normal desire, yes. God invented sex, so He's entirely in favour of it when used as directed. (See the Song of Solomon.) OTOH when a husband or wife starts using the other spouse as an object, merely to gratify desire, that starts breaking down the marriage rather than building it up. Sex cements the marriage relationship, produces children, and protects the spouses from lust--as well as being great fun and very funny in spots.

If the spouses are primarily interested in their own private pleasure, rather than in giving themselves to each other without reservation, that is a Bad Thing. Any time we regard other people merely as a means to an end, rather than as ends in themselves, we sin against charity. Another way of putting it is that our spouses know when we're putting them first and when we aren't. (Theology is a very practical study.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've got a green LED connected to a 3v lithium battery through a 1M resistor, and it makes a nice little night-light that should last 20 years or so. The Agilent LED is visible in office light at under 200 nA, as are some Infineon parts.

I'll try them in the dark.

John

I did this experiment a couple of years ago, with a COTS RS-type red LED. BMF cap, resistor, and two meters. From 20 mA down to about 10 mA, the brightness didn't noticeably change, then from 10 mA down to zero, it was "virtually" linear - of course, the log response of the eye might have figured into it. I didn't try it at extremely low levels, but I did shield my eyes so I had a little dark chamber between my hands. IOW, linear "right down into the mud."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

One, I'm not, and two, how could you possibly know? Just because it doesn't fit inside your little box?

Sex without lust would be very boring indeed. Or maybe you're one of the ones who thinks it should be a chore, only done when you want to make more little Xtian soldiers?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

We went over this a few months ago. At that point, you hadn't made any measurements down below 10 uA.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Democrat

Reply to
Ingvald44

Nah, they're the party of the rich. They just don't want anyone else to become rich.

Reply to
krw

Add 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 9, in addition to 8 and 10.

Reply to
krw

OK, in the dark but not very dark-adapted, the green and the red Osram led's are clearly on at 30 nA, with the green brighter than the red. With the rig I brought home, I can't get a stable current below that. The blue kicks in around 250 nA and the orange maybe 1 uA.

Should have brought home the old Keithley electrometer and some 100M resistors.

John

those=20

No, look up despair and try again.

Reply to
JosephKK

those=20

an=20

therapy and

torture:

Sounds like an exactly appropriate application for congresscritters.

Stop screwing the public and we may stop torturing you.

Reply to
JosephKK