OT: Printing from Windows 7 via SMC Barricade router?

No. It has to be the full name exactly as configured. The queue names appears in every packet and must match or it gets ignored:

Resolution is a bit of a problem with HP printers. The PCL5 driver maxes out at 600 dpi. If you want 1200 dpi, you need to use the PCL6 driver. 1200 and 2400 dpi are much slower. I've waved 600 and 1200 dpi photo prints at customers and asked them if they can see the difference. On glossy paper, perhaps, but on ordinary 20 or 22lb paper, they look much the same.

The first uses the Canon 128 cartridge, which is only good for 2100 pages. The second uses the newer 137 cartridge, which is good for

2400 pages. The 128 is difficult to refill. I haven't tried a 137 yet. The 128 refills sell for about $13 on eBay. The 137 carts about $40. The Brother TN450 is rated at 2500 pages.

I've had minor problems with Canon printers over the years. Canon does have more features than the equivalent Brother printers. Both Canon and Brother are built badly, loosely, make noises, and do things rather strangely. However, the Brothers seem to be quite reliable, while I've had to make far too many service calls for trivial problems with the Canon printers. I tossed a coin and picked Brother.

The problem with both Brother and low end Canon printers is that they don't last, and new repair parts are difficult to find. I would give both about a 5 to 8 year maximum life depending on use and abuse. If Joerg wants something that will last as long as his SMC Barricade, I suggest older HP printers, such as 4100, 4150, 4200, 4250, 4300. These are big, ugly, noisy, but fast, reliable, and will run forever with proper cleaning and care.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Nope. The colon was used in device names, not queue names. Also, I believe it may be proscribed in current Windoze mutatations. "The device name string must not have a colon as the last character, unless a drive letter is being defined, redefined, or deleted." The colon is reserved for drive letters and not used for device names. The LPR/LPD queue names have never had a colon. In AIX and other Unixes, the colon is also used for setting LPD queue attributes thus preventing its use in the queue name:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

No. LPT1 is not the true moniker.

It was LPT1: originally.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

True, up to Windoze 98SE or ME. Starting with 2000 or XP (too lazy to check), the terminating colon was dropped from device names and recycled as a delimiter.

The colon was NEVER used in LPD queue names. The probable reason you suggested it was because SMC stupidly hard coded a reserved device name as their print server queue name, which just happened to be terminated by a colon back in the stone age of personal computing.

Do you see any colons in any of these common queue names?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Is a "queue" device and a "port" device handled differently by the entire computing realm?

I am sure glad that despite what folks may think, the world really is going to end up Linux and BSD based. MS (read Bill's stubbornness) messed so many things up, and they are still patching, as Linux powers upward.

I'd bet that if one could get at that print server's guts, ala wrt router openness, it would be Linux, and be able to be easily fixed.

IOW, the mfgr should release a firmware update, but the device likely has no update function short of a hard, clamped on (maybe) JTAG procedure. Joy. They won't be helping you either, unless they invite you to send it in to them, and they do it.

I am sure my Pioneer receiver would stop dropping the CEC handshake with the HDMI DVD player AND the TV, when I change from one player source to another, if they would update the firmware, and make the function a little more lax. But you can bet they won't. It is 6 years old, and they will sell you a new receiver first.

Both will not invest the time and money for the same reason. I think they should be obligated to.

My Sony Dash won't work any longer either, as is the case with the other

400k + odd owners, as SONY has completely abandoned them, will not support them, and no longer runs the server that authenticated them and let them online. How Quaint. You can't even FIND info on them on ANY SONY site either.

It is like they erased them. I want a federal class action. This is bigger than the shit AOL pulled and got nailed for. They should have to either pay me back for NON functional items, OR (drum roll) OPEN the damned thing up, so we can HAVE WHAT WE BOUGHT! They run Linux inside.

we could use Chumby, or maybe even get git (hahaha) to help out.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

In DOS there was no colon. If you wanted to send a directory listing to your printer it was DIR > LPT1 . Or to copy a text file you could use Type FILE.TXT > LPT1 . Or print c:\file.txt /d:lpt1 .

Reply to
sms

The colon in device names (except local drive letters) was optional.

See MODE /? for details.

Reply to
rev.11d.meow