OT: Printing from Windows 7 via SMC Barricade router?

Try the third party Hamrick (sp) driver it might work for you.

HP are rather annoying about orphaning old very well built hardware with no support on more recent OS's. Happened to me with XP->Vista too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

You might look at VueScan: $40 for 4 machines with updates for 1 year. Works well on Windoze 7 at one of my customers, but I haven't tried it.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

They also ditched my super-simple web cam which always could run driverless on XP. It no longer works on Windows 7 so I had to buy a new one.

Just imagine: You buy a new car to pull your trailer. Then you discover that the engine will not start unless the trailer is a newer model equipped with anti-lock or whatever. No error message, it just won't start. After lots of research you find out why and that there is likely nothing that anyone can do about it. So now your existing and still pristine trailer has become worthless to you. This is what Windows 7 does.

However, since Windows 7 downloaded a HP 5L driver from their own server to my PC and it installed correctly one should rightfully assume that it was tested for compatibility. Well, maybe not these days anymore ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I can vouch for VueScan precisely for the the reasons above since I have a CanoScan FB630U.

Paid a one off licence [unknown number of years] ago and sill get updates.

Chris.
Reply to
Chris

No dice. Tried it. It saw the scanner but said that no driver was installed.

"VueScan uses a plugin library that's installed with the HP drivers to talk to this scanner, and doesn't work with this scanner without this plugin library."

HP does not offer drivers for the scanner for Windows 7 or 8. Hamrick doesn't supply drivers they just have a scanning application.

Not sure if it's HP's fault for not updating their drivers for new operating systems or Microsoft's fault for not supporting older peripherals that only have drivers for XP. If I really want to use that scanner now I either hook it to an old XP laptop or boot Linux where it works just fine. Actually it's no big deal since I replaced my Freecycle HP Laserjet 4MP with a Canon MF4800DW which includes a scanner/copier. $119 well spent.

Microsoft has been very good about supporting older printers, i.e. I was using an HP Laserjet III on Windows 7, as well as an HP Laserjet 4MP with both Windows 7 and Windows 8. They worked both with a very old wireless print server and via a USB to parallel port adapter.

I got the HP 4MP on Freecycle because someone didn't know how to use it on a computer without a parallel port. I even told him how to do it before I took it but he didn't want the laser printer anymore, he wanted a color inkjet.

Reply to
sms

The HP5L works just fine with Windows 7 as I'm sure you're aware if you tried connecting it directly to the computer, either with a USB to parallel port cable or if the computer had a parallel port card added to it.

The problem is not in Windows 7 support for the 5L, or even older HP printers, it's something with setting up TCP/IP ports that connect to the SMC Barricade Router. It's probably related to something blocking the TCP/IP port that was created, or some error in the TCP/IP port configuration.

This is the print server I was using a Laserjet 5MP under Windows 7 (and

8) with: . Since it worked both with USB and parallel printers for which I had created TCP/IP ports for under WIndows 7 and 8, clearly both of those operating systems support printing via a TCP/IP port. The configuration for the TCP/IP port, for that print server, is here: . This is a very old print server, it came out in 2004. I think the SMC Barricade you have is from around 2001.

There aren't any parallel port print servers still being made. The used D-Link models are around $50 on eBay (I gave my old printer and print server away on Freecycle). Considering that a Brother HL-L2340DW sells for $80 I would not spend any more money on getting the 5L to work. I got the HL-2270DW (previous generation) for my daughter to have at college and it works well. Replacement after-market toner cartridges are cheap, or you can refill the included starter cartridge.

Reply to
sms

...Actually it was a 5MP

Reply to
sms

Refilling the TN420 starter cart requires the installation of some parts to convert it to a regular TN450 cartridge. If you refill without these parts, the printer will declare the cartridge to be empty while it's still about half full.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Right, the place I bought the toner from also sold the flag gear to convert the starter cartridge to a regular cartridge. But now there are after-market cartridges as well at reasonable prices, though one I bought from Monoprice was terrible.

Reply to
sms

I buy quite a few TN450 carts on eBay, mostly for customers that I armtwisted into buying Brother MFC-7360n AOI printer/copier/fax/scan machines. I don't mind refilling a few carts here and there, but when customers dump off 20 at a time, it's too much. The cost difference between a $15 eBay cart, and a $5 bottle of toner is just not worth the exercise. What I do is buy one cart from a vendor and test it immediately on arrival. If it works, I buy 10 more. If not, I request an exchange. I always explain what I'm doing, which seems to result in a dramatic improvement in quality. Oddly, many of the failures I've seen are the result of the carts not being reassembled correctly, which is easily fixed.

Incidentally, the DR-420 drum has a limited life if not kept clean. Officially, it's 12,000 pages. With about 2,500 pages per cartridge, that's a drum replacement every 5 cartridge changes. You can reset the drum life page counter, and just keep going, but if you see vertical lines and smearing near the left/right edges, it's time for a new drum.

Also, you can squeeze about 100 more pages out of a Brother toner cart buy putting opaque tape over the cartridge windows. The printer will think the cartridge is full.

Footnote: I tried to convince Joerg to abandon his Barricade router/print_server, but failed. Much as I like to do everything possible to avoid eWaste, this is one product that is not worth saving.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Either the printer or the router needs to be abandoned. But I am surprised that it doesn't work because printing to a TCP/IP port usually always works. Must be an issue with the queue name or the TCP/IP address.

Reply to
sms

The Barricade only supports LPD/LPR printing and has a fixed queue name of LPT1 (must be upper case and no colon). I had a bit too much experience with the piece of junk when configuring SCO Unix Open Desktop clients and servers. I don't recall the exact problem, but do recall spending far too much time getting it to work. I eventually came to the conclusion that something was wrong with the SMC LPD/LPR implementation. To the best of my rapidly failing memory from 13 years ago, the router did not support HPNP printing (port 9100), ftp printing, telnet printing, or other kludges, just LPR/LPR.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

LPR is fine. Set the queue name correctly and the TCP/IP port address correctly and select LPR. On the D-Link print server it was the same deal--but with a queue name for each of the three ports that you set up with the D-Link utility and was changeable but once the name was set up you could use the same name from any computer so even if the utility didn't run on Windows 7 it would not matter--I never modified the names after I set them.

Reply to
sms

Exactly. And the Barricade worked fine with all OS'es that were thrown at it. Until Windows 7 which is unable to print to it. Ok, of course I do not know about Vista because I wouldn't touch that mess with a 10ft pole.

What's wrong with the name LPT1?

Windows 7 is messed up in many other ways as well when it comes to networks. For example, it sees my little office server only once in a while. It never sees my wife's PC which all other PCs can see, and always could. IMHO they simply messed up at Microsoft and Windows 7 does not have the quality that XP did.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It's one of the reserved names. Do not use the following reserved names for the name of a file: CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9.

LPT1 should have worked as a device name for a named pipe, but my guess(tm) is that something broke when used as a print queue name in Windoze 7. SMC could have used any other queue name and it probably would have worked, but instead chose to use a reserved name and then offered no option to change it.

Here's a collection of LPR/LPD print servers and associated queue names: Note that none of them use reserved names for their queue names, although some do append something to a reserved name, which is acceptable.

You might try juggling firmware versions. Some of the earlier versions appear to have fewer bugs than the later releases: Looks like earlier versions are not available from SMC. Looks like there's some alternative firmware available:

Would it help if I just snail mailed a better print server to you? You pay only the shipping. However, it will need to wait a week as I just caught a cold or flu.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

He should still be able to configure the handoff using MS' "NET USE" aliasing/redirection functions.

NET USE HELP will tell you more. (in a DOS VDM)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

LOL, the guy I gave my 5MP and print server to told me that he is not using the print server since he already had one. I could get it back and send it to Joerg as well.

Read this where the person named the print queue as "lp" for a different machine: .

Reply to
sms

Good plan.

Interesting article. I read the reader comments and noticed that one person said to use "lpt1" instead of "LPT1". I've been proclaiming that the queue name should be all upper case, as it is with most other LPD print servers, but the Barricade might be different. It might also be firmware dependent, but still worth trying.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

In another place someone mentioned using LPD. I wonder if "lp" is the key and what follows it can vary.

I really like having a wireless laser printer with duplexing, a copier, and higher resolution than my old laser printer. was $119 when I bought it last year, including free shipping. Apparently this replaced it: and it includes a touch screen which is probably a good idea considering how many buttons are on the one I bought. For some reason Adorama is significantly less expensive than Amazon for Canon printers. Also, Fry's matches Adorama prices.

Reply to
sms

Also worth trying inclusion of the colon character as well.