OT posts? How about shunning them as a solution...

Once in a while I get tired of all the OT posts by folks that seem to think we have no news sources of our own.

The noise to signal ratio here has certainly increased in the last month or two...

I'd ask that only subjects aligned with the newsgroup heading are appropriate or responded to but these characters think someone is interested IF they get replies.

Nuf said.

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

It is not the OT posts, many of which are OK, if we talk only on topic the group will rapidly die. It is the trolls - we all know who they are and many of us could do a better job ignoring them. Not sure it would help as they are more than one and feed each other though, so probably no workable solution. One of them tried to post to CAE and after getting zero responses to their two posts seems to have given up.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

You have no control over what gets posted so get over it. If you don't like OT then don't read them.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I hear you John. This & other 'profession-oriented' newsgroups rely on the good will of mature people. These groups were small enclaves within the vast wilderness of the internet. But the ratio (topical / non-topical) shifted as collective will shifted. There simply more of "them" than "us". There are several reasons, and I'm not sure that much could be done, i.e., to reach out to other engineering professionals, technicians, professors, and college students -- but other more modern internet platforms get all the love. = Rich S.

Reply to
Rich S

This is exactly why killfiles exist. They let you clean up the cruft yourself. Adding snipped-for-privacy@message.header, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, snipped-for-privacy@example.net, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com and snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org to your killfile would immediately remove almost all the OT stuff from your view of the group.

Reply to
Bertrand Sindri