OT: Plumbing Pain

When I built my new utility room and kitchen, I used ball valves for all the shutoffs. The kind with the handle that has to be turned 90 degrees to the valve body to shut off the flow. You can tell at a glance whether the valve is on or completely off.

A friend of mine says the plumbing manifold and all the valves under the kitchen sink look like something out of a U-boat.

It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.
                -- Andrew Jackson
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Good idea! ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

Now don't tell us you "cheapskated out" and bought an old style valve because it cost two bucks less than a ball valve :-)

Or did ya?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Without major re-work I was stuck with using a valve that mated to a flared pipe in the wall :-( ...Jim Thompson

               Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
           Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

A flared pipe? I thought you lived in a house that was built after WW-II ;-)

We live in a house built around 1970 and pretty much every valve I changed is now a ball type. I just have to buy both thread types because as Forrest Gump would have put it, it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

They make 1/4 turn shutoff valves for sinks & toilets. The last ball valves I used were 3" when I plumbed a TV transmitter I was installing. I used them to switch the cooling pumps, and to trim the water flow through the transmitter tubes.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

the

I'll bet Joerg has never installed a ball valve, only to discover that it doesn't shut off completely.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

the

valve

I was thinking the same thing. Only expensive lined ones shut off fully.

What turned the tide... I turned off the valve to replace the conical washer on the tubing and it started leaking from the packing :-( ...Jim Thompson

               Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
           Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

The stem corrodes over time, or develops a layer of mineral deposits that chew up the packing. The buildup prevents it from leaking until you turn it off, so if they aren't used on a regular basis, just plan on replacing them whenever you have to use one. You can repack the stem, but that doesn't last very long, and a new valve is a lot cheaper than any repairs from water damage. I repacked the valve on my toilet, but it is being removed to raise it four inches to make it easier for me to use. My knees are up in the air when I sit on it. I literally bout the house from a midget and both toilets were make for kids.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

the

valve

I have installed several. The one behind the fridge is now 7-8 years old. I had to turn it off a few times and disconnect the hose. No problems, not one lone drop dared to leak out. I bought this one either at ACE or HomeDepot, don't remember.

Same for toilets. Once in a while a flapper goes bad from all that chlorine in the water and I don't get around to it same day. After all, who cares if one loo out of four is shut off? The valve held totally tight, no water entered the tank. Same on the swamp cooler where I emptied the reservoir for winter, and no leak.

The new valve leaks? Not good ... time to return it? You didn't mount it the wrong way around?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

the

the

valve

Learn to read.... the old valve leaked so I bought a new valve and abandoned the idea of trying to replace the conical washer on the spiral tubing... new valve, tubing replaced by braid-reinforced hose. ...Jim Thompson

               Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
           Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

Leave it to Jeorge to screw that up, too. No wonder his fake address says that he's 'invalid'.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

'Expensive' being a couple of bucks more than the standard cheapo shutoff valves. They usually have a stainless steel 'ball' in a nylon sleeve inside the brass body.

The packing in those isn't designed for repeated use, so its cheap. The newer (cheap) shutoff valves sometimes have plastic shafts. If the valve hasn't been used for several years, it can stick. I'm always afraid I'm going to snap the shaft off.

"All These Planets Are Yours Except Europa"
Translation: "You kids stay off my lawn!"
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yup. I got really tired of trying to 'convince' the existing gate valves to cooperate, so I installed ball valves in the main water supply to the house and to the irrigation system.

A maintenance shutoff is quick and easy, so it removes the 'hassle' excuse when it is time to maintain the hot water electrode, for example.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

or all the

s to the

the valve

er the

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

e quoted text -

Never say "tide" and "plumbing" in the same thought !!!! :)

Reply to
mpm

band aid ??? consequences ?????? ....... some nissan engines from the factory use silicon especially on the sumps. master gasket :

Seals to 1300kPa (190psi), fills gaps to 0.25mm a.. . May be used to coat existing gaskets a.. . Sensor safe for automotive use a.. . Ideal for alloy crankcases on motorcycles, outboards, chainsaws and portable generators a.. . Temperature range: -55°C to +150°C

gasket or bathroom type silicone will not fail ,

unless your a retard and dont know how to apply it. or have been one of these weirdos that use 3 tubes of silicon to seal , when a 20th of one tube will seal the area..

Reply to
no one

Ratchet tube cutter, McMaster.com part number 8290A42 . I have one and it's a life saver.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Reply to
Dan

I've had a succession of plumbing failures...

Interior valve started leaking (packing) once it was closed, reopened, then closed again.

So I go out and attempt to turn off exterior gate valve. It's also toast :-(

I just called a plumber. I don't have tools for large-sized copper work. ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Go PEX. I rewired half of my hot water (which tends to erode copper) with PEX. When I started, i had to custom order over internet. But now, Home-depot and Lowes carry most of the items.

Reply to
linnix

Outdoors in AZ ?? ...Jim Thompson